GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 19 19, 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: December 23 18, 8:02 am 
Mayor of GRB

heyzeus wrote:
I had a dream last night that we traded Fowler to Russia. I have no idea what that means.

PostPosted: December 23 18, 8:39 am 
Everday Unicorn

Great now I have to tell my family why I just Lol’d.

PostPosted: December 23 18, 8:42 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

jagtrader wrote:
It's "hard to get excited" about Paul Goldschmidt. Baseball fandom has gotten weird.

Paul Goldschmidt for a year is exciting but you’re being obtuse if that’s what you took from my post.

PostPosted: December 23 18, 8:45 am 
-go birds

sighyoung wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
I had a dream last night that we traded Fowler to Russia. I have no idea what that means.

lol

PostPosted: December 23 18, 1:03 pm 
All Hail the New GDT Master

heyzeus wrote:
Great now I have to tell my family why I just Lol’d.

You should always have an open tab on cat videos so you can deflect attention. Figured a lawyer of your standing would know that.

PostPosted: December 23 18, 11:51 pm 
Fringe Major League Player

Could the cArds ever use an “opener”? And if so isn’t Miller the prime candidate to do so?

PostPosted: December 24 18, 12:43 am 
AA Minor League Player

I have struggled with this thought for a while - 4 openers, 4 long relief paired up and 4 situational bullpen-only guys. If openers and middle go 4 innings each, 40 games, that’s 160 innings from 8. Innings seems doable. Can they go every 4 games vice 5 if innings limited? Between Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty, Hudson, Gomber, Poncedeleon, Gant, Helsey, Wainwright - pick 8 with best pairings.
Then have to pick 4 between those not in 8 plus Hicks, Miller, Leone, Brebbia, Shreve, Cecil, Gregerson, Mayers, Cabrera, etc. oh yeah, and Reyes.

We have too many “good” arms on the 40 and 25. Not enough excellent. Gonna be interesting how it all shakes out.

PostPosted: December 24 18, 9:20 am 
gone fission

Phansett wrote:
I have struggled with this thought for a while - 4 openers, 4 long relief paired up and 4 situational bullpen-only guys. If openers and middle go 4 innings each, 40 games, that’s 160 innings from 8. Innings seems doable. Can they go every 4 games vice 5 if innings limited? Between Martinez, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty, Hudson, Gomber, Poncedeleon, Gant, Helsey, Wainwright - pick 8 with best pairings.
Then have to pick 4 between those not in 8 plus Hicks, Miller, Leone, Brebbia, Shreve, Cecil, Gregerson, Mayers, Cabrera, etc. oh yeah, and Reyes.

We have too many “good” arms on the 40 and 25. Not enough excellent. Gonna be interesting how it all shakes out.

The union and players would never go for it for an entire season because the "openers" would never qualify for a win in their starts. It's a meaningless stat, but, much like with saves or RBIs, it is still used by the old timers. Plus it is something that is still considered when salary/trade negotiations or arbitration values come up.

PostPosted: December 25 18, 9:41 am 
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Never forget, good is the enemy of great. That said, there are some great arms on the team.

PostPosted: December 25 18, 11:25 am 
All-Star

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Never forget, good is the enemy of great. That said, there are some great arms on the team.

I always heard that better was the enemy of good enough..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next