Kluber - no interest?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Rieges
Veteran Player

Kluber - no interest?

Post by Rieges »

The Dodgers seem to be the most talked about team as a potential destination. Why no talk about the Cards? They should be able to put together a better package if they were inclined.

go birds
-go birds

Re: Kluber - no interest?

Post by go birds »

all i know is...if he does end up going to the dodgers...they better be giving up a top prospect of some sort...i.e. bellinger.

im tired of the dodgers constantly getting these stars for non-prospects.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

I would love Kluber. Cardinals probably feel they don't need him though, and they don't NEED him, but he would boost the rotation significantly imo.

Kluber
Martinez
Mikolas
Flaherty
Wainwright/Wacha/Reyes

Would be fearsome.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I still find it hard to believe he is available. And if he is, maybe there’s a reason.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

It would take a haul. He’s basically the pitcher equivalent of Goldschmidt but under contract 3 seasons At 65% of what the market would pay him

Obligatory caveat about pitchers getting old overnight and I haven’t looked at his peripherals

Rieges
Veteran Player

Post by Rieges »

Wonder if a package of Hudson O'Neill and a third lesser prospect would get it done.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Rieges wrote:Wonder if a package of Hudson O'Neill and a third lesser prospect would get it done.
Doubtful. He has 3 years left on a good deal, arguably top 5 pitcher in baseball. It's gonna take at least Reyes + O'Neil and more.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Popeye_Card wrote:I still find it hard to believe he is available. And if he is, maybe there’s a reason.
He's a perfect sell high candidate. He's at the age where a lot of pitchers lose velocity and hit a cliff. Maybe he'll age well, or maybe he'll have a few more seasons of solid contribution before falling off a cliff ala Roy Halladay. Or maybe he'll be like Adam Wainwright where his age 32 season was brilliant and there was no reason to think he wouldn't continue to be an all star. Then he got hurt. Then he struggled to recover. Then he was a shell of his former self, and he never had another year like his prime seasons.

If you're a budget team like the Indians and you can get anotehr team to pay for Cluber like he's going to be a cy young candidate for the next 3 seasons - then I think you do it. Let a wealthier team absorb that risk so long as you can a really solid return.

If Cleveland wants what i'd expect in a deal for Kluber, then I wouldn't want the Cardinals to pay that kind of price. It makes sense why the Dodgersa re the ones considering the trade. Kluber is a perfect high risk high reward candidate for them. Even if he gets hurt, they can afford $17m. And the the next two years are options with buyouts. So it's three 1-year risk deals for one of the better pitchers in the league.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Without Kelly, I am not sure we have the prospects to get an impact player like Kluber. We would have to use someone that we plan to play. Like O’Neill. Our other young pitchers don’t have much value.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Yeah, Alex Reyes and a B guy wouldn’t get you near a Kluber at this point.

Our guys are worth more to us