One of the remaining needs: LH bench bats?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

One of the remaining needs: LH bench bats?

Post by st.lewis11 »

I've been pondering over what's out there & may be available. Be advised, this is not based on much research, I'm just basically throwing out some ideas. For catcher backup, how about Steve Vogt? He's an average lefty bat with some pop, & he's also played a little bit at corner IF positions. Of course he's below average defensively, but so was Pena, & it's not close offensively. Vogt seems to be a good pro & a good fit.

It's been said on MLB trade rumors site that the Dodgers are looking for RH bats, & have considered Jose Martinez.(not sure why when they have Freese). But for OF backup, Joc Pederson might be a nice get. He can fill in at all 3 OF positions. He's not eligible for free agency until 2021, & Martinez not until 2023, so the Dodgers could gain extra control years for corner OF backup. Maybe package those 2 in a deal with extras, perhaps even including a bullpen piece for us.

Just throwing it out there.......

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: One of the remaining needs: LH bench bats?

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Probably going with Robinson unless a good FA is still around late.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Shildt has eluded to being open about expanding the role of the backup catcher, in particular. So it wouldn't be too far off the plan for 2019.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

I don't know if Molina is confused or spilled the beans about a soon-to-be-announced roster move, but he says here that Pena is coming back again in 2019.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/deportes/bei ... a-2467666/

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Hoot45 wrote:I don't know if Molina is confused or spilled the beans about a soon-to-be-announced roster move, but he says here that Pena is coming back again in 2019.

Don’t speak (or read) Spanish, but cards announced yesterday they signed Pena back to a minor league deal

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

what about marwin gonzales

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

cardsfantx wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:I don't know if Molina is confused or spilled the beans about a soon-to-be-announced roster move, but he says here that Pena is coming back again in 2019.

Don’t speak (or read) Spanish, but cards announced yesterday they signed Pena back to a minor league deal
Ah, I missed that yesterday. Thanks.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

When Ankiel gets signed as our LOOGy he will double as our LH bench bat.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I wonder how much it would take to sign CarGo. There doesn't seem to be too much of a market for him, and he's always good for one 3-week hot streak per season.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Curtis Granderson fully intends to continue his playing career in 2019.
There have been some whispers about retirement over the past couple of years, but Granderson isn't ready to walk away just yet. However, like many free agents around the game, he's still waiting for the right offer. Granderson turns 38 in March and batted .241/.351/.431 with 13 home runs over 403 plate appearances between the Blue Jays and Brewers in 2018. He could make for a useful left-handed bat for someone, most likely in a bench role.
Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter
Jan 15 - 3:22 PM