2019 Pitching staff thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: 2019 Pitching staff thread

Post by Jocephus »

Hbp: Who are some players that Zips is extremely aggressive on (a few years out), relative to other systems? I think I remember you mentioning Adell and Bieber in the past…

Dan Szymborski: Giovanny Gallegos

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

TomBruno23
2:05
What can the Cardinals do to improve their starting pitching? 3rd worst FIP in MLB, although xFIP is a little better.

Craig Edwards
2:08
Get better pitchers? They don't play in Milwaukee for a while and that's going to help, but their two best pitchers have a total of two good seasons under their belt, their third is 37-years old coming off multiple disappointing seasons while Wacha has been very inconsistent for some time and Dakota Hudson didn't miss bats in the minors and that has carried over. If Alex Reyes can't come back as a starter and Carlos Martinez is heading to the bullpen, they probably have to go outside the organization for a top-3-type pitcher if they want to end their playoff drought.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Team Defense So Far
by Jay Jaffe
May 10, 2019
The Cardinals’ defensive improvement is masking their rotation woes

The most improved team from last year to this one (through Wednesday, at least) in terms of DE is the Cardinals, who have jumped from .685, ninth-worst in the majors, and six points below the MLB average, to .719, fourth in the majors and 24 points above average. In terms of PADE, they’ve gained just over four points (from 0.32 to 4.33). The upgrade to Paul Goldschmidt at first base (from Matt Carpenter and Jose Martinez), greater shares of playing time for shortstop Paul DeJong (who lost seven weeks of 2018 to a fractured metacarpal) and center fielder Harrison Bader, and improved play from Dexter Fowler appear to be key factors on the individual level, though obsessing about less than a quarter-season of UZR or DRS is a fool’s errand. At the team level, the Cardinals have already matched last year’s shift-related DRS, with eight, pushing them from 19th (tied) to fifth in that category.

Where the improved defense is being felt the most is in front of a rotation that entered Thursday ranked dead last in the NL in FIP (4.96) but was a more respectable seventh in ERA (4.25). Even with Carlos Martinez sidelined due to a shoulder strain, the group of Miles Mikolas, Jack Flaherty, Michael Wacha, Adam Wainwright, and Dakota Hudson projected to be the majors’ 11th-best rotation, but they’ve collectively had trouble keeping the ball in the yard (an NL-worst 1.68 homers per nine), and they’re in the bottom third of the league in strikeout and walk rates, and K-BB%. Good defense — including the majors’ third-highest rate of converting double plays, according to Baseball Prospectus — has helped the unit outdo its FIP by an MLB-high 0.71 runs per nine.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-good-th ... se-so-far/

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Dallas Keuchel Needs A Job. Here’s Who Should Hire Him.
Although the teams Keuchel would help most are generally bad teams, the ideal mix would be a team with a good Elo rating but a thin rotation in need of a solid starter. Looking at the current state of things, the best fits are the St. Louis Cardinals (where Keuchel’s rating is a vast improvement over that of current No. 5-ranked starter Dakota Hudson), the Cleveland Indians (Jefry Rodriguez), the Boston Red Sox (Hector Velazquez) and perhaps the Oakland A’s (Aaron Brooks).

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

? i'm confused

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Not signing Dallas Keuchel at this point is pretty much irresponsible

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

why sign dallas keuchal when you can draft someone that may be able to help us 7 years from now

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Jocephus wrote:? i'm confused
He wants to be no-traded.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Magneto2.0 wrote:Not signing Dallas Keuchel at this point is pretty much irresponsible
I think Bumgarner is our plan. I think they want/wanted to give Hudson a pretty long look and then make a play for Bum if they needed to. O'Neill for Bumgarner + a pitcher coming in July.

Edit: I hadn't read the rest of the thread. So... Bumgarner is not going to be traded to the Cards. Very disappointing. I've been thinking about him for a few weeks.
Last edited by Fat Strat on May 11 19, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.