Ozuna’s post-surgery issues

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Re: Ozuna’s post-surgery issues

Post by Hoot45 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Ftr, I don’t really care that Ozuna has his own team in the dr. It’s his body, he can do as he pleases.
That philosophy didn't work out for us last year, which is why Mo has something to say about it this time I think. As Joe said, fool me once...

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Hoot45 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Ftr, I don’t really care that Ozuna has his own team in the dr. It’s his body, he can do as he pleases.
That philosophy didn't work out for us last year, which is why Mo has something to say about it this time I think. As Joe said, fool me once...
It was known that he had shoulder trouble when they traded for him.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:
It was known that he had shoulder trouble when they traded for him.
It was known dating back to 2016 and during the 2017 offseason. That's not the problem. The Cardinals asked Ozuna to deal with it and trusted that he would, but as we went through the season it became clear that it was not dealt with properly before arriving in St. Louis. And during the season, Ozuna was allegedly not dealing with it as the team hoped either. As Frederickson reported:
Mo was pretty candid in explaining that they did not feel like they got much help from Ozuna when it came to treating and rebounding from the injury during the season. Said he wants Ozuna to take responsibility this offseason to arrive at spring training ready to perform, not being held back because of the shoulder. source
So in October 2018, after the season ended, Mo warned that Marcell had to take his shoulder very seriously this time:
We can show you where the water is, but we can’t make you drink. I think in his case, he’s going to have to take that very seriously. source
The club had been clear and candid about what they expect from players this year:
Mozeliak said the team wanted to share “accountability” with the player — and not go months between one season’s end and spring’s start without conversation. Of chief interest to the team was assuring that injured players, like Ozuna, stick with a rehab and strengthening program that wouldn’t limit them in February. source
I'm not saying Ozuna hasn't dealt with it effectively this time. I don't know. The problem is, neither do the Cardinals. And last time he said "trust me" it turned out to be ineffective treatment. That's why this is a story. Ozuna might be ready to go, locked and loaded. But if he isn't swinging yet, or has to miss some of Spring Training, we're starting the season off on the wrong foot. A stated goal, back in October, will have not been met.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:What if the team doctors are not as good as his?

The team got mad about Waino but knew they couldn’t get away with dragging him in the mud over it like they can with Ozuna.

Ozuna dropped a 2.7 WAR season with no arm. He’s very good.
How is Ozuna being drug through the mud? Mo was asked a question, and he answered it. I think you're creating something that's not real here.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:Didn't Waino use his own doctor against team wishes a few years ago? Crickets greeted that news story.

Apparently crickets didn't greet it, because we're still talking about it today.
Are "we"? When was the last time it was brought up? Did the team criticise Waino when that happened? Come on. Presumably, they've not got 24-7 video coverage on any of their players, so why single out Ozuna?

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

Not speaking on this case in particular but surely contracts have stipulations around these sorts of things. Or don't they? I don't know. But if someone is spending millions on someone's physical abilities I would think so. I could be wrong. Maybe someone here knows.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:Didn't Waino use his own doctor against team wishes a few years ago? Crickets greeted that news story.

Apparently crickets didn't greet it, because we're still talking about it today.
Are "we"? When was the last time it was brought up? Did the team criticise Waino when that happened? Come on. Presumably, they've not got 24-7 video coverage on any of their players, so why single out Ozuna?

I assume because they were asked about Ozuna?

.... and because, as others pointed out, Ozuna had some issues getting ready last year.

I'm not going to dig through the forum, but I think we discussed Waino's situation pretty extensively at the time.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

No major league player would ever play cricket

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

You mean Paletta?

Other players such as that RP who I can’t recall got criticized so..... still calling racism?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

All of this stuff is overblown. A private investigator? Really? I'm not even understanding what the controversy is here. What am I missing?
I think you are missing that some people feel this is the second off-season where Ozuna has been less than forthright about his health and conditioning. And in a 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" kind of way, it's time for the Cardinals to proactively do something about it. Have I got that right?
At least some people can see the forrest through the trees.

This is akin to Pablo Sandoval being held personally responsible for regularly coming to camp out of shape. The Giants just left the ball in his court, when they could've been more proactive. It happens a lot, and on a team that needs all its pieces optimal, we need honesty from a guy that's earned a short leash. Last year was on us; we let him talk\smile his way past our better judgement. This year needs to be different, and if you have to pay one of his cousins to relay whether he's doing full body workouts, or body shots; you spend those dollars.

I love this sort of thing.