GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently April 19 19, 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: January 24 19, 12:52 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
Posts: 10732
Location: Appleton, WI
lukethedrifter wrote:
For all the history and all the great position players, Cards pitching history is pretty thin.


Even if Gussie hadn't traded Carlton and Reuss out of spite, it would still be mediocre.

The organization historically hasn't developed many good starting pitchers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 1:04 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36060
Location: Huis Clos
doe_boy wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
For all the history and all the great position players, Cards pitching history is pretty thin.


Even if Gussie hadn't traded Carlton and Reuss out of spite, it would still be mediocre.

The organization historically hasn't developed many good starting pitchers.

The 80s (and Whitey) made a hero of Gussie but he was a real SOB.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 1:29 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Posts: 8247
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
No Andy Benes?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 1:44 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 54122
i looked ankiels one major season again to see if he could sneak in with just one good season under his belt. no, probably not, but gd what could have been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 2:06 pm 
Offline
Everday Unicorn
User avatar

Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Posts: 34065
Location: Austin, TX
Jocephus wrote:
i looked ankiels one major season again to see if he could sneak in with just one good season under his belt. no, probably not, but gd what could have been.


They have one season of Tom Henke on the list, and the two seasons of Eck. So why not. Ankiel's story is a pretty significant one in recent Cards history.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 2:12 pm 
Offline
gone fission
User avatar

Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Posts: 7836
Location: Twin Cities, MN
heyzeus wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
i looked ankiels one major season again to see if he could sneak in with just one good season under his belt. no, probably not, but gd what could have been.


They have one season of Tom Henke on the list, and the two seasons of Eck. So why not. Ankiel's story is a pretty significant one in recent Cards history.


It's kind of funny seeing Ernie Broglio on the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 2:27 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer
User avatar

Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
Posts: 10732
Location: Appleton, WI
lukethedrifter wrote:
doe_boy wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
For all the history and all the great position players, Cards pitching history is pretty thin.


Even if Gussie hadn't traded Carlton and Reuss out of spite, it would still be mediocre.

The organization historically hasn't developed many good starting pitchers.

The 80s (and Whitey) made a hero of Gussie but he was a real SOB.


For sure. Gussie was the man who destroyed the Cardinals in the 70s. Then along came Whitey and, presto, mini-dynasty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 3:46 pm 
Offline
Mayor of GRB
User avatar

Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Posts: 31990
Location: Louisville
I'm glad Reggie Cleveland squeezed in there, but I'm surprised Lynn McGlothen didn't make the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 3:51 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am
Posts: 4008
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Bob Gibson
Adam Wainwright
Dizzy Dean
Jesse Haines
Harry Brecheen
Max Lanier
Chris Carpenter
Larry Jackson
Mort Cooper
Bill Sherdel
Bill Doak
Howie Pollet
Matt Morris
Silver King
Bob Forsch
Steve Carlton
Slim Sallee
Bill Hallahan
Curt Simmons
Ted Breitenstein
Vinegar Bend Mizell
Al Brazle
Jack Stivetts
Harvey Haddix
Bob Tewksbury
Gerry Staley
Red Munger
Ray Washburn
Ernie Broglio
Lance Lynn
Jose DeLeon
Murry Dickson
Joe Magrane
John Tudor
Carlos Martinez
Joaquin Andujar
Syl Johnson
Jaime Garcia
Cy Young
Lindy McDaniel
Dave Foutz
Flint Rhem
Pete Alexander
Danny Cox
Lon Warneke
Michael Wacha
Reggie Cleveland
Bob Caruthers
Paul Dean

Step 1: Search Cardinals pitchers on Fangraphs
Step 2: Sort by WAR
Step 3: Copy
Step 4: Paste


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: January 24 19, 3:52 pm 
Online
darjeeling sipping elite
User avatar

Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Posts: 36060
Location: Huis Clos
Is Pete Falcone on there?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cardinalkarp, Felix The Cat, Google [Bot], InvincibleCakeEater, Socnorb11, TimChopsula and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group