RIP Frank Robinson

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

RIP Frank Robinson

Post by CardsofSTL »

Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, baseball pioneer and first black manager, dies at 83
Frank Robinson was royalty, a legend in the world of baseball. Despite his tremendous accomplishments on and off the field, it was as if his monumental role in baseball history had been forgotten.

Maybe now, people will pay attention and realize that Frank Robinson was one of the most impactful figures in baseball history.

Robinson, a first-ballot Hall of Fame player who became the first African-American manager in baseball, died Thursday at the age of 83, according to Major League Baseball.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: RIP Frank Robinson

Post by CardsofSTL »

Robinson, a 14-time All-Star, had a legendary career. He was the Rookie of the Year in 1956 when he hit a rookie-record 38 homers for the Cincinnati Reds, won the Triple Crown in 1966 with the Baltimore Orioles, and remains the only player to win an MVP award in each league -- with the Reds in 1961 and the Orioles in 1966. He also led his teams to two World Series titles, winning with the Orioles in 1966, when he also was voted the World Series MVP, and 1970.

Robinson, who had his greatest years with the Reds and Orioles, played 21 years in the major leagues before retiring in 1976 with 586 home runs. It was the fourth-highest total in baseball at the time, trailing only Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays. The longest of those home runs came on May 8, 1966, when his 541-foot blast off Luis Tiant cleared Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

“We were facing Luis Tiant and he had thrown three straight shutouts,” Robinson said at a 2014 news conference. “I had never seen him before. The first pitch was a fastball down and in and I hit it. You know when you get one. You don’t know how far, but you know you got it.

“When I came into the dugout, the guys were saying that ball went completely out of the ballpark. I said, ‘Get out of my face. No way.’ They said, ‘Yes it did.’

“When I went out to right field, the fans gave me a standing ovation. I thought maybe it did go out.”

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

never forget

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

TBH, I didn't know he was still alive.

Under rated. Good guy. RIP.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

A legendary trailblazer on and off the field. Having had the privilege of watching him play, the first word that comes to mind is awestruck.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

A great player and a great manager. Always enjoyed watching Frank Robinson. Godspeed sir!
Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on February 7 19, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird wrote:A legendary trailblazer on and off the field. Having had the privilege of watching him play, the first word that comes to mind is awestruck.
with playing career 1956-76. he is rare legend that bridged eras -my dad watched/followed him starting as a teen, I got to as a kid.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

What a great player! Up there with Mays and Aaron.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »