Cardinals 2019 Hall of Fame Ballot

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Cardinals 2019 Hall of Fame Ballot

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

They put in two, which should be Rolen and Hernandez.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Only would vote Rolen to be honest. Maybe Renteria too. Rest are meh. Don't put everyone in. Make it mean something.
Keith Hernandez was really good in an era of really bad Cardinals baseball. He and Rolen are the two best choices, but honestly Izzy deserves some consideration too. As many as we complained about him, overall he was a really [expletive] good closer for us.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Hernandez played more than 1,100 games with the Cardinals. He won an MVP, a World Series, had an OPS+ of 130 and played Gold Glove defense. I don't know what we're doing here if he's not in the team's Hall of Fame.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Stinks that Tudor’s run was so brief.

Hernandez
Rolen

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Rolen and Hernandez

Next year Izzy and Renteria

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

TGantz wrote:Rolen and Hernandez

I'm OK with this. I want Renteria in there. A TON of friends I grew up with were not fans of Edgar and that probably caused me to like him even more because they hated him so much. It took me awhile to understand their hatred but once I figured it out, it did make sense sort of.

We grew up with Ozzie at short almost from the day they were born (as I did). We were all 16-18 years old at the time Ozzie retired and had literally known no other full time short stop in a Cardinal uniform. We didn't have the Internet where we could watch highlights of other short stops much less every game played by every team. We weren't watching Sports Center and seeing other short stops. Ozzie wasn't the gold standard in our eyes, he was what we considered standard. We were so spoiled by Ozzie that we didn't realize how rare of a talent he was. In the eyes of my friends it shouldn't have been hard to find a replacement just as good.

Royce Clayton was only around for a couple of seasons but then when Edgar took over the job my friends expected Ozzie level defense from him because that is all they had seen on a day to day basis their entire lives. Renteria never stood a chance with them. Nobody did. Replacing a legend is an almost impossible task and Renteria was great even if a lot of people my age wouldn't give him any credit. Just knowing how unappreciated he was by so many of my friends at the time and hearing the things they said about him made me love the guy even more.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

tlombard wrote:
TGantz wrote:Rolen and Hernandez

I'm OK with this. I want Renteria in there. A TON of friends I grew up with were not fans of Edgar and that probably caused me to like him even more because they hated him so much. It took me awhile to understand their hatred but once I figured it out, it did make sense sort of.

We grew up with Ozzie at short almost from the day they were born (as I did). We were all 16-18 years old at the time Ozzie retired and had literally known no other full time short stop in a Cardinal uniform. We didn't have the Internet where we could watch highlights of other short stops much less every game played by every team. We weren't watching Sports Center and seeing other short stops. Ozzie wasn't the gold standard in our eyes, he was what we considered standard. We were so spoiled by Ozzie that we didn't realize how rare of a talent he was. In the eyes of my friends it shouldn't have been hard to find a replacement just as good.

Royce Clayton was only around for a couple of seasons but then when Edgar took over the job my friends expected Ozzie level defense from him because that is all they had seen on a day to day basis their entire lives. Renteria never stood a chance with them. Nobody did. Replacing a legend is an almost impossible task and Renteria was great even if a lot of people my age wouldn't give him any credit. Just knowing how unappreciated he was by so many of my friends at the time and hearing the things they said about him made me love the guy even more.
Yeah...there were a lot of fans that I was around during the first few years post-Ozzie that would rag on Renteria with no rational reason too; I never saw the point. There is only one Ozzie. I liked Clayton too; he got put into a tough situation.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »