Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MAGA
All-Star

Re: Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Post by MAGA »

So what arbitrary amount of spending would no longer be "cheap"?

MDCardsFan
All-Star

Post by MDCardsFan »

phins wrote:
You do not own a baseball team to make money while owning it. You make your money from owning a baseball team when you sell it. .

Really? And exactly why would anyone want to buy it if it wasn't to make money? Every baseball makes money. Even the sucky ones.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

In DeWitt's case, you own a team for your real estate endeavors. Exploiting a successful historical franchise with an expansive fanbase thanks to KMOX broadcast towers rules if you're a billionaire.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MAGA wrote:So what arbitrary amount of spending would no longer be "cheap"?
Spending your excess payroll profits on good players in their prime instead of pocketing it and making up BS about players not being worth it to justify.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Spending your excess payroll profits on good players in their prime instead of pocketing it and making up BS about players not being worth it to justify.
The thing is though it’s a Catch 22.

You’ve previously showed how the Cardinals have spent unwisely on players just for the sake of spending (Gregorson, Holland).

Do I think Harper would be a wise investment? I don’t know. Personally I’d prefer Machado.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Gregerson and Holland are a blip in DeWitt's wallet. My point on those contracts is that the preceding logic is yet another reason their excuse for being cheap makes no sense. Can't say you're willing to take on Stanton's contract, pay Heyward, pay Price, blow endless dead money on relievers, Peralta, Leake, Fowler, even Gyorko to a degree, etc. and then turn around and have cold feet on a big contract. Doesn't matter as I believe this offseason is proof of collusion more than it is just DeWitt's typical cheapness.

DeWitt will make twice Holland's contract with one floor rented out in BPV2 a year.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on February 12 19, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
What is “excess”?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
DeWitt will make twice Holland's contract with one floor rented out in BPV2 a year.
I think you need to check your math.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MAGA wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
What is “excess”?
40 million operating income when competitive teams keep that close to zero.

That right there can pay for Harper for one year. Not to mention Harper and his accolades push the franchise value over 2 billion mark finally.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I just checked some math. I picked a random floor - #25. The rents add up to about $30K a month, or about $360K/year. All the floors are different and I know there are some that go higher than that. But one floor is not going to make millions in rent each year. Don't get me wrong, I think the apartments are...weird. It's strange to me that a baseball team would want to be a landloard. "Dang I wish the Cardinals would fix the bullpen...and also my water heater."

https://onecardinalway.com/360-tours/