Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cardinals Done Adding to Roster for 2019

Post by Spider John »

Magneto2.0 wrote:I think ownership is a bigger issue than Mo
I've said for some time we mistakenly blame Mo, who can only do as much as BDW allows.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

dmarx114 wrote:
Lesson wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote: The same three things were said about the last three teams too. And they didn’t add meaningfully at the deadline.
My bigger issue is that they haven't done anything one way or another aside from moving around some players with no clear indication as to whether or not they expect to seriously contend for the POs or to build for the future.

Lynn and Norris are the two names who come to mind that I don't understand why the FO kept unless they seriously thought they were going to make the POs.
"Adding meaningfully at the deadline" for a team that is in 3rd place and hovering around .500 seems short sighted.

I can't get crazy over not trading Lynn. No one wanted him, as evidenced by his crappy 1 year deal he received last season.

Here are some facts though.

After 2016, it was "spend in free agency". Mo signs Fowler for 3rd largest free agent deal in that off season.

After 2017, it was "get a big bat." Mo trades for Ozuna, who was an all star in 2016 and 2017 and was coming off a 37 home run season.

After 2018, it was "the Cards need a face of the franchise type of player and need to get a better bullpen." Mo trades for Goldschmidt and signs Miller.
I honestly don’t have any issues with the Mo has made since the 2016 offseason. He addressed roster needs at the time.

I do have an issue with not making a decision to buy or sell. The Yankees sold in 2016 and are set up nicely for the future. I think ownership is handcuffing Mo as to what decisions he can make at the deadline because I don’t think ownership ever wants to flatly ever admit they gave up on the season by being sellers.

There was no reason why Norris should’ve been on the roster after the trade or waiver deadline.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Lesson wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Lesson wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote: The same three things were said about the last three teams too. And they didn’t add meaningfully at the deadline.
My bigger issue is that they haven't done anything one way or another aside from moving around some players with no clear indication as to whether or not they expect to seriously contend for the POs or to build for the future.

Lynn and Norris are the two names who come to mind that I don't understand why the FO kept unless they seriously thought they were going to make the POs.
"Adding meaningfully at the deadline" for a team that is in 3rd place and hovering around .500 seems short sighted.

I can't get crazy over not trading Lynn. No one wanted him, as evidenced by his crappy 1 year deal he received last season.

Here are some facts though.

After 2016, it was "spend in free agency". Mo signs Fowler for 3rd largest free agent deal in that off season.

After 2017, it was "get a big bat." Mo trades for Ozuna, who was an all star in 2016 and 2017 and was coming off a 37 home run season.

After 2018, it was "the Cards need a face of the franchise type of player and need to get a better bullpen." Mo trades for Goldschmidt and signs Miller.
I honestly don’t have any issues with the Mo has made since the 2016 offseason. He addressed roster needs at the time.

I do have an issue with not making a decision to buy or sell. The Yankees sold in 2016 and are set up nicely for the future. I think ownership is handcuffing Mo as to what decisions he can make at the deadline because I don’t think ownership ever wants to flatly ever admit they gave up on the season by being sellers.

There was no reason why Norris should’ve been on the roster after the trade or waiver deadline.
The Cards were 76-59 on 8/31. Why would you have wanted him traded?

And lets not pretend Bud Norris was bringing back Gleyber Torres on 7/31. If you're sad that Norris could have been traded on 7/31 and the Cards missed out on a single A player with upside, that's fine. But neither Norris nor Lynn the year before were ever going to bring back meaningful talent.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Spider John wrote:
I've said for some time we mistakenly blame Mo, who can only do as much as BDW allows.
Eh, he picks dumb ways to spend the money and assemble the roster. Again, handling of players like Holland, Leake, Pham, Piscotty, Grichuk, Cecil, Gregerson, keeping Matheny, starting beefs with players like Fowler, etc.

I'll give Mo that BDW is the reason behind losing out to Heyward and Price. But his roster assembly sucks [expletive] the past half-decade. Getting lucky on a lottery ticket like Mikolas is supposed to change my mind about the dozen or so of bad moves? Mo's strength is the deadline deal and he couldn't even get one with Lynn or Norris. He's losing it.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Spider John wrote:
Eh, he picks dumb ways to spend the money and assemble the roster. Again, handling of players like Holland, Leake, Pham, Piscotty, Grichuk, Cecil, Gregerson, keeping Matheny, starting beefs with players like Fowler, etc.

I'll give Mo that BDW is the reason behind losing out to Heyward and Price. But his roster assembly sucks [expletive] the past half-decade. Getting lucky on a lottery ticket like Mikolas is supposed to change my mind about the dozen or so of bad moves? Mo's strength is the deadline deal and he couldn't even get one with Lynn or Norris. He's losing it.

You want me to show you a list of the teams that have been more successful in the last half decade?

It's really short.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
You want me to show you a list of the teams that have been more successful in the last half decade?

It's really short.
7 teams (out of a possible 30) isn't that short. And you could argue the Mets have been more successful making it 8.

And that will rise after this season.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

9 teams have a longer active postseason drought than the Cardinals, and most of them have been tanking.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

It's really short.
7 teams (out of a possible 30) isn't that short. And you could argue the Mets have been more successful making it 8.

Which 7?

The Mets have had 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years. I have no idea what your criteria is here.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:9 teams have a longer active postseason drought than the Cardinals, and most of them have been tanking.
Last half decade the criteria should be teams that made the playoffs 3 out of the 5 years at minimum.

I highly doubt there’s more than 4 that fit that criteria and that’s with zero research done.

Off top I’d suspect the Dodgers (shoe-in) Yankees and then I’m drawing a blank. Red Sox?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

It's really short.

Which 7?

The Mets have had 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years. I have no idea what your criteria is here.
Well there's 7 teams with more wins than the Cardinals and the Mets are right behind them. And the Mets have been to the WS (the argument some could make pertaining to success). That's the criteria: wins + WS appearance

Could argue Royals too and make it 9.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on February 11 19, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.