Cubs Co-Owner's Incredibly Racist Emails Leaked

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cubs Co-Owner's Incredibly Racist Emails Leaked

Post by ghostrunner »

sighyoung wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:And Not to excuse it, but I thought the emails would be worse. haven't read them all though.
I didn't really expect awful. I expected garden-variety ignorance, insularity, and contempt, and there's plenty of that. To me, what's striking is just how banal the whole thing is. This stuff is in the guy's e-mail feed for years.
Speaking of that, the banality of these kinds of jokes is always striking to me. That one in the tweet above, there's no joke except for the fact that the n-word is dropped at the end.
Last edited by ghostrunner on February 5 19, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

"I'm not racist, I just find racist humor funny."

Man, our country.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

sighyoung wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:And Not to excuse it, but I thought the emails would be worse. haven't read them all though.
To me, what's striking is just how banal the whole thing is. This stuff is in the guy's e-mail feed for years.
Yes, the anti-Moozlem Obama email chain from crazy ole Uncle Joe. See folks -rich people are just like us after-all.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

He's rich, there won't be consequences.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

At least part of the annoyance about this is, the Cardinals will still be the butt of hatred from baseball sites and FB fans, mocking the years-old BFIB stereotype while giving this [expletive] a free pass.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

IMADreamer wrote:He's rich, there won't be consequences.
If I remember correctly Donald Sterling was fairly well off. Not that MLB has the stones to do what the NBA did though.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

At so many locations in America there are thousands of people, re that awful joke in the tweet upthread, going "What? It's not racist! She's a great wife in the joke! How can that be racist?"

Which is a really big part of why we are where we are.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

ghostrunner wrote:Speaking of that, the banality of these kinds of jokes is always striking to me. That one in the tweet above, there's no joke except for the fact that the n-word is dropped at the end.
The "joke" is based on stereotypes of black women as subservient, hypersexualized, and suited for servant tasks, in contrast to real (white) southern women. So it's actually worse than just dropping the slur at the end.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Kincaid wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Speaking of that, the banality of these kinds of jokes is always striking to me. That one in the tweet above, there's no joke except for the fact that the n-word is dropped at the end.
The "joke" is based on stereotypes of black women as subservient, hypersexualized, and suited for servant tasks, in contrast to real (white) southern women. So it's actually worse than just dropping the slur at the end.
The "joke" also offers its own insane type of whataboutism that equates calling someone a yankee as being an insult on par with calling someone the n word.