Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cubs Co-Owner's Incredibly Racist Emails Leaked

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Somewhere Steve Balmer is saying woo.

...maybe Mark Cuban.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

NDark wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:He's rich, there won't be consequences.
If I remember correctly Donald Sterling was fairly well off. Not that MLB has the stones to do what the NBA did though.

The difference being the NBA is largely full of black players who aren't afraid to use their voice to speak up about causes. If I remember correctly some players said they wouldn't play for Sterling any more.

You think Kris Bryant is going to speak out against this and say he won't play for a racists?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

IMADreamer wrote:
NDark wrote:
If I remember correctly Donald Sterling was fairly well off. Not that MLB has the stones to do what the NBA did though.

The difference being the NBA is largely full of black players who aren't afraid to use their voice to speak up about causes. If I remember correctly some players said they wouldn't play for Sterling any more.

You think Kris Bryant is going to speak out against this and say he won't play for a racists?
Maybe if his grandmother gives him $10 for it. I'd give the players a minute. Maybe they'll do good. Keep the mic away from Rizzo though, he'll just start talking about the circle of life.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Famous Mortimer wrote:At least part of the annoyance about this is, the Cardinals will still be the butt of hatred from baseball sites and FB fans, mocking the years-old BFIB stereotype while giving this [expletive] a free pass.

Double Birds (@2xbirds) on Twitter used to talk a lot about this - how the Cards have all these negative steroetypes, but the Cubs are actually worse about those things. Not that the Cards don't have problems. But this is a good example. While we debate whether something Mozeliak said about Fowler or Ozuna is kinda racist (I think there may be a little something to that myself)...the Cubs owner is basically a virulently racist uncle.

Another example is the stereotype that the Cardinals are extremely old school and "want the game to be played the right way". Yes, the Cards do have some of that going on. Meanwhile, Joe Maddon complains about guys who pause too long to watch their home run ball and engages in bean ball wars to enforce unwritten rules. But since he employs mimes and makes guys dress funny on trips and uses shifts on defense, he's called a new-school genius.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

pioneer98 wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote:At least part of the annoyance about this is, the Cardinals will still be the butt of hatred from baseball sites and FB fans, mocking the years-old BFIB stereotype while giving this [expletive] a free pass.

Double Birds (@2xbirds) on Twitter used to talk a lot about this - how the Cards have all these negative steroetypes, but the Cubs are actually worse about those things. Not that the Cards don't have problems. But this is a good example. While we debate whether something Mozeliak said about Fowler or Ozuna is kinda racist (I think there may be a little something to that myself)...the Cubs owner is basically a virulently racist uncle.

Another example is the stereotype that the Cardinals are extremely old school and "want the game to be played the right way". Yes, the Cards do have some of that going on. Meanwhile, Joe Maddon complains about guys who pause too long to watch their home run ball and engages in bean ball wars to enforce unwritten rules. But since he employs mimes and makes guys dress funny on trips and uses shifts on defense, he's called a new-school genius.
I think some of this is connected to popular perceptions of the two cities--St. Louis as a provincial city in decline, and Chicago as a global cosmopolis. The fact is that both are among the segregated cities in the country, and Chicago realtors basically invented the restrictive racial covenant that spread throughout the country in the early twentieth century. No fan base or management is going to be free of this kind of crap.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

IMADreamer wrote:
NDark wrote:

Are you saying Kris Bryant is racist?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I have so far really enjoyed the recent revelation that all billionaires are incredibly miserable & feel persecuted all the time even though they aren't. I would prefer they don't go into politics, but the more they do, the less sympathetic they make themselves to normal Americans who wouldn't otherwise give a [expletive]. Whatever they're trying to accomplish with this hilarious "actually it is we who are the true victims" act, they're getting the opposite reaction, which is very cool to me.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Should Cubs fans boycott in protest?

How would we (collective “we” Cards fans) react if it was BDW?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:Should Cubs fans boycott in protest?

If it was DeWitt he'd probably sign Harper to distract the fan base.

I'd say some would boycott but most would follow their usual patterns after they expressed themselves on Twitter.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Radbird wrote:Should Cubs fans boycott in protest?

I can only speak for myself, but the entirety of the offseason(this, not getting rid of Russell, potential TV deal with Sinclair, crying poor and not making any additions of significance) combined with the frustrating/demoralizing second half of the year was enough for me to cancel MLB.tv. I'm just not enthusiastic about this season even though the team should be very good, so I'll see if they earn more attention/money instead of having that commitment renewed automatically.