GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 24 19, 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:22 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

I guess now we know why they were talking about him working out of the bullpen.

This is bad. Dallas Keuchel, please.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:22 am 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

MRI showed no structural damage.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:27 am 
The Prodigal Son Returns

Gotta get a starter, now.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:30 am 
Perennial All-Star

Fat Strat wrote:
I guess now we know why they were talking about him working out of the bullpen.

This is bad. Dallas Keuchel, please.

if there's truly no structural damage, they won't get a starter...hell, even if there is, they won't.

that's why they have Hudson, Gant, Poncedeleon, Gomber, Helsley, etc.

not saying I agree with it...but that's what they'll say/do. why sign a starter when we have 5+ guys waiting for a spot right now.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:37 am 
Perennial All-Star

Quote:
The Cardinals outfitted Martinez with an offseason plan to build strength and ready for spring training so that weakness in and around the shoulder had been addressed. Shildt said the program did not have its intended goals, and that has forced the team to rewrite Martinez's spring training. He will go two weeks without throwing.

might need to come up with a new program guys

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:37 am 
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Why make the team better when we can avoid long-term commitments and use young, cheap players.

This is pretty much the offseason mantra of ~25 teams.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:45 am 
Hall Of Famer

This sounds bad.

He seemed due for tommy john surgery anyway.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:58 am 
tl;dr

Man. I hate shoulder injuries. They can be so difficult to figure out and rehab up until the point where surgery is needed. Unfortunately shoulder surgeries aren't to the point where you have a good shot at coming back healthy and as good as ever like Tommy John surgery these days. According to a control study done by the NIH, the sample group of 33 pitchers they studied showed that while the pitcher's who came back and their performance improved over the next three seasons, they never again performed at the level they were at prior to the surgery. That's not a comforting statistic. I wish I could remember the time frame and details of how they picked the players to include in the study but they took a REALLY scientific approach. They even compared that group of 33 to a control group of 117 other MLB pitchers from the same time period. I didn't have time to read the entire thing since it was so full of information but the summary was basically, "shoulder surgery bad."

Baseball Statistic also tried to do a similar study and used 27 pitchers who had ANY shoulder surgery between 2010 and 2013. The study clearly isn't perfect but of the 27 pitchers 7 are still pitching. 12 never threw another pitch in MLB and 2 others combined for fewer than 22 innings total (one threw 11 and the other somewhere under that). The shoulder surgery was literally the end to over half of the guys who had confirmed shoulder surgery during that time frame. Wow.

Bottom line. Shoulder issues are no joke and I understand why players (especially pitchers) avoid them at all costs. Hopefully this is something the team can work on and fix before Carlos messes something up and needs surgery.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:59 am 
tl;dr

dmarx114 wrote:
This sounds bad.

He seemed due for tommy john surgery anyway.

Tommy John would be a blessing over shoulder surgery.

PostPosted: February 19 19, 9:59 am 
Replies Authoritatively

phins wrote:
Why make the team better when we can avoid long-term commitments and use young, cheap players.

This is pretty much the offseason mantra of ~25 teams.

And the most-discussed GRB topic of the off-season.

Just give Dallas Keuchel 2 years and $40 million, already, jeez. $50MM even. If he's a 3-win pitcher, that's fine for this team. He was a 3.6-win pitcher in the AL last year, so really 3 wins in the NL should be cake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next