GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently May 24 19, 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: March 9 19, 3:43 pm 
Hall Of Famer

salukifan2 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Quote:
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Carlos Martinez (shoulder) is still at least 5-7 days away from throwing and his odds of being ready for Opening Day are "shrinking."
Mar 8, 2019, 9:55 AM

Classic Goold. Long sentence, no information.

Haha no this actually means his odds of being ready for opening day are zero. Just gotta know the lingo

PostPosted: March 11 19, 9:37 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
Carlos Martinez (shoulder) is expected to resume playing catch "in a couple days."
Martinez is now two weeks removed from receiving a platelet-rich plasma injection in his ailing right shoulder. The Cardinals will see how he responds to throwing before deciding on the next step, but obviously he's still a ways off. Opening Day is almost certainly out the window, but the timetable for his return could be shorter if he returns as a reliever. We should know more in the coming days.
Source: Jenifer Langosch on Twitter
Mar 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

PostPosted: March 13 19, 10:10 am 
99% conan clips

Quote:
St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Carlos Martinez will begin the season on the injured list as the two-time All-Star tries to work his way back from shoulder weakness.

Martinez will not appear in exhibition games. He is to throw on flat ground for the next week before moving to a mound.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2624 ... -season-il

PostPosted: March 13 19, 10:21 am 
Master of Hyperbole

Mo was out here [expletive] on his worth ethic. For no reason at all. That was cool. Don't think it matters how hard you work (if that's even remotely true) if your shoulder blows up day 1 of camp.

You don't get PRP because you have a little setback.

PostPosted: March 13 19, 11:20 am 
just can't quit you.

I bet if Tommy Pham was still on this team, Martinez wouldn't have shirked on his workouts this off season, and he would have the second strongest shoulders on the team, right after Tommy Pham!

PostPosted: March 13 19, 1:19 pm 
Mayor of GRB

I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around throughout the organization.

Having rehabbed a shoulder, I can only say that my physical therapy took months, and I had to do a wide array of exercises in tandem and correctly to strengthen multiple muscles in and around my shoulder, and ultimately recover from shoulder impingement. But I had to do ALL of the exercises regularly, or else I messed things up and had to start over. I don't think it's a stretch to believe Martinez was, indeed, doing some of the exercises but not the others, and now has to correct this.

At the same time, Mozeliak is clearly feeling the pressure of missing the playoffs the last few years. Whatever one feels about calling out individual players, when the practice seems more frequent, at times misdirected (as in the case of Fowler,who stunk but wasn't malingering), or directed at only certain players (the sunk-cost caravan of aging relievers seems to get regular passes), the practice looks petulant.

As for Pham, the trade looks more and more like one of those Auggie Busch deals from the 70's just to get a player out of the organization.

PostPosted: March 13 19, 1:56 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

sighyoung wrote:
I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around throughout the organization.

Having rehabbed a shoulder, I can only say that my physical therapy took months, and I had to do a wide array of exercises in tandem and correctly to strengthen multiple muscles in and around my shoulder, and ultimately recover from shoulder impingement. But I had to do ALL of the exercises regularly, or else I messed things up and had to start over. I don't think it's a stretch to believe Martinez was, indeed, doing some of the exercises but not the others, and now has to correct this.

At the same time, Mozeliak is clearly feeling the pressure of missing the playoffs the last few years. Whatever one feels about calling out individual players, when the practice seems more frequent, at times misdirected (as in the case of Fowler,who stunk but wasn't malingering), or directed at only certain players (the sunk-cost caravan of aging relievers seems to get regular passes), the practice looks petulant.

As for Pham, the trade looks more and more like one of those Auggie Busch deals from the 70's just to get a player out of the organization.

Yeah, the Pham thing bothers me because Mo whines about Martinez, Ozuna, Fowler's work ethic yet Pham works harder than anyone, and gets traded. I know he's doing it partially as a motivator, but the CMart thing seems really misplayed even from that standpoint. Why not at least apologize for knocking his work ethic when it wasn't the case at all?

PostPosted: March 13 19, 2:19 pm 
-go birds

pham got traded because he called out the FO, not because of his work ethic.

PostPosted: March 13 19, 4:42 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

I know that--I just mean, he exemplifies what Mo is preaching now to three star players. But I guess Mo wants zero red-asses. (Or something else that's obvious) He's now publicly called out Pham, Ozuna, Fowler, CMart, and Wong. His motivator tool of public call out may have worked with Wong--to play devil's advocate.

Back to CMart: it never mattered how much he worked out--his shoulder busted up day 1 of camp. So Mo was taking a shot at him for what reason exactly?

PostPosted: March 13 19, 5:30 pm 
Veteran Player

This new Tommy Pham board is phamtastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next