GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently March 22 19, 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: March 4 19, 2:03 pm 
Offline
Everyday Player

Joined: September 2 17, 10:18 am
Posts: 238
Jocephus wrote:
waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby


On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 4 19, 3:54 pm 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: December 20 07, 2:45 pm
Posts: 19453
Cardinals_Spaceship wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby


On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.


Please don't make me bump the GDTs from Mikolas' appearances last Spring. Pretty please.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 4 19, 6:16 pm 
Online
Master of Hyperbole
User avatar

Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Posts: 4045
dmarx114 wrote:
Cardinals_Spaceship wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby


On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.


Please don't make me bump the GDTs from Mikolas' appearances last Spring. Pretty please.

Do you have evidence of a pitcher averaging 1.5 WAR for four straight years surging into a 2-3 WAR pitcher at his age?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 5 19, 8:54 am 
Offline
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 23394
Location: Raptured
Wainwright touched 91 and sat 82-88. But he’s tinkering with a splitter for the first time in his career so...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 5 19, 9:09 am 
Offline
Replies Authoritatively
User avatar

Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Posts: 6293
Location: Chicago, IL
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Cardinals_Spaceship wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
waino had 6 baserunners in 3 innings but don't know how he "looked"

gomby...oh gomby


On top of the pitching display yesterday ... meanwhile, Dallas Keuchel is sitting by his phone somewhere.


Please don't make me bump the GDTs from Mikolas' appearances last Spring. Pretty please.

Do you have evidence of a pitcher averaging 1.5 WAR for four straight years surging into a 2-3 WAR pitcher at his age?


Wainwright is not a matter of age-related decline and regression as much as he's a matter of health and injury. Wainwright was a 1.5 win pitcher in 24 starts. Then a 0.5 win pitcher in 8 starts. The quality is there when he starts to be a 2-3 win pitcher worthy of a #4 or 5 slot in a rotation, and if he's healthy enough to make his starts he will be a 2-3 WAR pitcher.

The question is: can this pitcher, who for five straight years was running about 230 IP/year and who then went 28 IP -> 198 IP -> 123 IP -> 40 IP physically maintain a position in the starting lineup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 5 19, 10:01 am 
Online
Master of Hyperbole
User avatar

Joined: December 1 17, 11:05 am
Posts: 4045
I agree that he's been injured but there IS an age cliff so the combination of the two are not on his side. He will be 38 years old during the season.

I'm taking the under on 1 WAR. I do think he can be effective but he's giving up a lot more home runs these days and walking a lot more too. Injury or not, that's his trend.

One big trend I notice taking a steady climb over the past half decade is Waino's hard hit%. He isn't fooling batters like he used to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: March 5 19, 11:34 am 
Offline
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Joined: June 9 06, 3:51 pm
Posts: 8451
Yeah, the fact that this team- in a competitive window- is using Adam Wainwright in the starting rotation is pretty hard to fathom. He's a great Cardinal, accepted a very cheap deal to have a final year here, and the ownership did what they did for that situation.

Obviously, Adam Wainwright is not in the starting rotation if he had previously never played for the Cardinals. I cannot really understand their rationale for not going out and spending money on a starting pitcher with the Carlos injury concerns and Wainwright's age, but they do a lot of things I can't understand these days.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Amoco Sign, bluesman1111, cardsfantx, Cronos, danh35, doe_boy, Donnie Ebert, Kincaid, Majestic-12 [Bot], Spider John and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group