New poster here. Any hope for our pitching this season?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Re: New poster here. Any hope for our pitching this season?

Post by doe_boy »

Cronos wrote:
heyzeus wrote:
Leroy wrote:I'm thinking the midseason return of Mike Lincoln will solidify the bullpen.
It turns out I am not yet tired of this joke. NOT CHAT!
Classic Leroy(c)!
I hear that Chuck Finley taught Lincoln the splitter.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Welcome to GRB. You should feel honored. Not everyone gets Leroyed on their first visit.

Like FS said, it’s early. Remember ST Mikolas from last year?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

there is no hope only pain and death

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Welcome to the forum GeeMel, I apologize for those here who are harassing you with the same old tired tropes.

So, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm more concerned about the lack of offense. But it's concern with a tiny little c, because these are very early games designed mostly for the players to get into shape.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

heyzeus wrote:I'm more concerned about the lack of offense. But it's concern with a tiny little c, because these are very early games designed mostly for the players to get into shape.
Personally, I'm just trying hard not to read anything into any of these performances. The concerns can easily be balanced with the positives and I have a tendency to brush off the concerns while finding significance in the good stuff. Watched some of Flaherty's outing and I was ready to come here and start a thread about he's ready to step into ace territory. Yesterday's outing was great. But, it's March 5. And as good as he was yesterday, he could give up three HR's in his next outing and it wouldn't mean he's going to suck any more than yesterday's means he's taken a huge step forward.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

The battle for RF, Ozuna's all around progress, and seeing what new pitches younger guys like Hicks and Hudson are throwing are all I'm really looking at. I hope defense of DeJong stays how it's been the past two years--of course I have my doubts there. He's seemed okay so far this spring. I've given up on Waino and I have very little faith in Andrew Miller being a good signing.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:The battle for RF, Ozuna's all around progress, and seeing what new pitches younger guys like Hicks and Hudson are throwing are all I'm really looking at. I hope defense of DeJong stays how it's been the past two years--of course I have my doubts there. He's seemed okay so far this spring. I've given up on Waino and I have very little faith in Andrew Miller being a good signing.
An article from the PD a few days ago was all I needed to know about AW. The club has already started in on the "wily veteran", "smartest-guy-in-the-room" spin for Wainwright. Velocity remains down, but all he has to do is mix things up, hit his spots, and pitch smart and he can out-wit the league with a variety of release points, velocities, and movement. Yeah... that's all he has to do. As if that's so easy. That whole thing is so arrogant. I'm older, smarter, wiser, so I can beat you younger, dumber, foolish kids. We hear that from just about every old pitcher and just about every old pitcher has the same thing in common: they stink. At that age they really can't just mix things up, hit their spots, or outwit anyone. Their mind might want to, but their body won't let them. And in an era where AW's every movement is video taped and analyzed by a horde of statistical analysts, coaches, scouts, and experts all bent on defeating him, AW simply won't be able to trick people for longer than about a minute. By the end of spring training, the whole league will have an entire book on AW's wily veteran-ness. Once the season starts all he will be is an injury-prone pitcher with underwhelming velocity, decreasing command and control, and no room for error. Yes, he'll get outs. But, the cheapest AAAA replacement level arm can get outs most of the time, too. It's gonna be a rough and ugly year for AW. And it could get pretty messy when he proves ineffective but healthy.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Like I said in another thread, just look at the home run rate and Hard Hit% trend of Waino. Injury or not, he's trending bad. Did I mention the walks? Age and velocity just go hand in hand with it. Giving him a rotation spot not only lowers our chances of winning on days he starts, but it puts pressure on the younger guys to do even better when they play. Just not a fan of giving him a lot of farewell innings, especially if he's a 4.50+ ERA guy like I expect him to be.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

First, welcome to the board, GeeMel.

As for AW, I hope his bobblehead night is early in the year, and that he is moved to the bullpen sooner rather than later. He's been a great Cardinal, but I only hope the technology for concealable emery boards and fast-evaporating lubricants has taken a giant step forward in the past few years.

And yes, he is more injury-prone than a character in Fifty Shades of Grey.