3/11 GDT - Nats (Scherzer) vs Cards (Flaherty), 12:05p CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: 3/11 GDT - Nats (Scherzer) vs Cards (Flaherty), 12:05p C

Post by Cronos »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Cronos wrote:Another player confirming the system is the problem, not the Cardinals.
Paying him 10K less because he wouldn't sign the offer is the Cardinals choice.
Because he really cares about being paid 10K less when he's making $555,000 and knows he's going to be the future ace of this team and will obviously be paid soon.

And if he actually is personally offended because of a 1.8% salary difference than what he might be expecting, then that's his problem. That's stupid.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

That's some weird justification for Bill's wallet. Pay him the 10k. He's more than worth it.

It was a "prove your balls" move by the Cardinals. Dumb.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I don't know. I'd take it up with Mr. Dewitt himself. It seems somewhat fruitless (to me) to continue to rage against "cheap owners" on an internet message board when they're all being "cheap" by the same definition.

But you do you.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

10k is a lot of money. I'm not raging on a message board, I'm defending players and their rights to what they're owed.

Where was the lie? Flaherty was docked because he didn't agree. Period. That's dumb of the Cardinals. If 10k is nothing to Flaherty, then what is it to the Cardinals? Microscopic. Pay him what he's due. He was the second best rookie pitcher last year and gave you 170+ innings as a 22 year old.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

It’s a business, not a charity.
10k is a lot of money.
This goes both ways.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I get both why the Cardinals did it and why it looks petty. And, I'd rather they pay Flaherty $10k than stick it under their mattress.

That said, come on, by the time he's 24 years old, Flaherty will have pocketed $3M+ in earnings from the Cardinals organization. He won't even notice the $10k.

Further, I don't think he even cares about the $10k. He, correctly, understands the system is [expletive] and is talking about that. He'll probably produce about $20M worth of value this year and be paid $0.55M. It's not the jump from 0.55M to 0.56M he is/should be upset about. He's being paid 2-3% of his worth regardless of that 10k. That's the point.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Because as we’ve seen proven again and again, players are all about loyalty and reciprocating good will gestures come free agency. LOL

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I get both why the Cardinals did it and why it looks petty. And, I'd rather they pay Flaherty $10k than stick it under their mattress.

That said, come on, by the time he's 24 years old, Flaherty will have pocketed $3M+ in earnings from the Cardinals organization. He won't even notice the $10k.

Further, I don't think he even cares about the $10k. He, correctly, understands the system is [expletive] and is talking about that. He'll probably produce about $20M worth of value this year and be paid $0.55M. It's not the jump from 0.55M to 0.56M he is/should be upset about. He's being paid 2-3% of his worth regardless of that 10k. That's the point.
That's exactly what I believe has happened.

All young players are now being forced to "represent the league". The fact that it's come to that a mere $10k difference (yes I know that's a lot to average Joe Schmo but not to one of the best on the planet at pitching just starting out) is being interpreted by some as an "insult" is patently ridiculous to me.

That's like if I was expecting a 1.5% raise at my annual review and got a 1% raise instead, I viciously complained about it even while knowing that in a few years I will get a 1000% raise.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

No, it's like a research assistant finding a way to cure some form of cancer and then being told by the hospital admin "great job, here's a phlebotomist's salary."
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on March 12 19, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:No, it's like a research assistant finding a way to cure some form of cancer and then being told by the hospital admin "great job, here's a phlebotomist's salary."
A system that pays based on production would be ideal, but veteran players would never go for it.