There's someone in my head but it's not me

Tom Seaver has dementia

Post by Radbird »

Damn.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Tom Seaver has dementia

Post by Spider John »

One of the best ever, but I rarely hear or read his name. Am I the only one who thinks he is underrated?
New York Mets (1967-77, '83), Cincinnati Reds ('77-82), Chicago White Sox ('84-86), Boston Red Sox ('86)

Honors
NL Rookie of the Year (1967), 12-time NL All-Star ('67-73, '75-78, '81), three NL Cy Youngs ('69, '73, '75), Hall of Fame ('92)

Championships
1 -- New York (1969)

Career stats
W-L: 311-205, 61 shutouts, 4,783.0 innings pitched, 2.86 ERA, 3,640 strikeouts, 1.121 WHIP

he player

There are few in baseball, shy of Babe Ruth, who can say that they turned the fate of a franchise around. Tom Seaver can say that. What he did in helping turn the Mets from lovable losers to successful champions was nothing short of remarkable. Wins Above Replacement, applied retroactively, ranks Seaver as the seventh-best pitcher of all-time, second-best of anyone whose career began after World War II (only Roger Clemens is better). -- Mark Simon, ESPN Stats & Info

Before Maddux, Clemens and Pedro, I might have leaned toward pegging Tom Terrific as the best ever. His 106.3 WAR were the highest for any pitcher after integration until Clemens blew right by, and his seven best seasons ranked with Gibson's for best peak value since 1947 before Clemens blew by that as well. If you saw him pitch, you recognized him instantly, not just for the stocky build but for that dirty knee on his plant leg as he got down and drove the ball into the zone. -- Kahrl
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/ml ... chers-ever

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

You're not alone Spider. Criminally underrated. The man put up a two and a half ERA in his mid-30s. The man's ERA from age 22-36 was 2.60. People revere Koufax (justifiably) but Koufax's career ERA was 2.76 and he stopped at age 30.

Seaver is a top-ten all-time SP and a guy who demands to be in those conversations when we talk about the greats.

Sorry to hear this, best wishes to his family and friends.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Seaver was consistently dominant, and always in the conversation as one of the finest pitchers of his era when I was growing up. He was also in the public eye a great deal throughout the 70's--and quite charismatic. I think people tended to forget about him simply because he disappeared after he was elected to the Hall of Fame.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

I don't think I've ever seen anyone drive so low of the mound the way Seaver did. His right knee would have a big dirt spot from dragging it on the mound.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Oh, and I watched Tom Seaver no-hit the Cardinals back in 1978. It just showed how good he was that day, as well as how awful the '78 Cardinals were.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I always disliked Seaver. Stems from a story my older brother told me about him being rude to him and not signing a ball.

But Seaver is underrated for sure.