4/13 GDT: Cardenales(Wainwright)@Rojos(Roark) 6:10PMCT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: 4/13 GDT: Cardenales(Wainwright)@Rojos(Roark) 6:10PMCT

Post by Socnorb11 »

dmarx114 wrote:Also, brebbia was taken out for Webb in a 1 run game.

Brebbia threw 4 pitches.

Must have killed Shildt to use him for even those 4 pitches.
Brebbia has pitched more innings than every reliever, other than Gant (who has pitched garbage innings). What makes you think Shildt doesn't want to use Brebbia?

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

dmarx114 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:At least Shildt will accomplish his goal of not using miller or hicks.

You gotta score runs for those guys to be a factor.

We were down 2-1 when Shildt went to the bullpen. Shortly after, we were down 5-1. Are you suggesting that Hicks should have been used in the 6th? Miller?
Brebbia, Miller, Hicks from the 7th on.
So you would have brought in Brebbia in the 7th, to face the lefty (Dietrich)? I question that logic.
Of course I would. Dietrich isn’t exactly Barry bonds. We can have a good righty pitch to him without crapping our pants.
Likewise, Brebbia isn't exactly Mariano Rivera.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cronos wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Cronos wrote:Boring game, with a bad ending.

I guess that kinda evens things out from the nonstop comebacks they had Thursday. Terrible timing for this series, with the weird off-day on a Friday.

I don't mind Danny Mac as much as others seem to, but I'm getting a little sick of his voice rising in volume every time there's a fly-ball out. I thought Goldy got into that last one.
Definitely prefer D-Mac to Brennaman....living in Reds territory I am subjected to their inane broadcasts.
Brenneman is a particularly strong brand of awful.

Both of them.
Marty seems like a jerkface. Thom seems like a son of a jerkface. And he spells his name stewpid.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

We could discuss Shildt all night, I guess.

Truth is, the offense and the bullpen sucked tonight, yet we're holding Waino and Shildt accountable. I don't really get that.

Ah well....... go get 'em tomorrow!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Socnorb11 wrote:We could discuss Shildt all night, I guess.

Truth is, the offense and the bullpen sucked tonight, yet we're holding Waino and Shildt accountable. I don't really get that.

Ah well....... go get 'em tomorrow!
I actually blame Mexico for this loss. If they would build a wall to keep professional baseball players out of their country; we wouldn't lose games down there.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Socnorb11 wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:Also, brebbia was taken out for Webb in a 1 run game.

Brebbia threw 4 pitches.

Must have killed Shildt to use him for even those 4 pitches.
Brebbia has pitched more innings than every reliever, other than Gant (who has pitched garbage innings). What makes you think Shildt doesn't want to use Brebbia?
It was sarcasm.

But it was alarming that Webb was brought into the game just because the reds had 2 lefties coming up.

I would much rather keep brebbia in than trust a minor league pitcher like Webb.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Webb isn't the answer, I think we all know that. Next lefty up, please. Genesis Cabrera?

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

The main take away from tonight is that Shildt has an old school, slow hook, when it comes to pulling starters. We saw it Thursday as well with Wacha. The decision to not lift Waino tonight did not singlehandedly cost us the game, but the cumulative long term effect of having a slow hook will be a net negative over 162 games.

Shildt needs to adjust his ways. Simple as that.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

dmarx114 wrote:The main take away from tonight is that Shildt has an old school, slow hook, when it comes to pulling starters. We saw it Thursday as well with Wacha. The decision to not lift Waino tonight did not singlehandedly cost us the game, but the cumulative long term effect of having a slow hook will be a net negative over 162 games.

Again, when the bullpen sucks and the offense sucks, I find this to be a strange summary.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Socnorb11 wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:The main take away from tonight is that Shildt has an old school, slow hook, when it comes to pulling starters. We saw it Thursday as well with Wacha. The decision to not lift Waino tonight did not singlehandedly cost us the game, but the cumulative long term effect of having a slow hook will be a net negative over 162 games.

Again, when the bullpen sucks and the offense sucks, I find this to be a strange summary.
It's strange to watch this game and not recognize how the Reds managed it differently than the Cardinals. They didn't let Roark face the wrong side of a platoon split the third time through the order. It was an inning earlier. And they were losing.