Jackie and Curt

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Jackie and Curt

Post by lukethedrifter »

Got me a 42 Brooklyn Dodgers ball cap yesterday. There ought be a Curt Flood cap to buy.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:The Curt Flood story would really make for a good baseball movie. Could do it in the Moneyball style of where it involves baseball but i mostly what takes place behind the scenes of MLB.
I agree. Would be a great period piece.
I think that all of the old owners that Curt pissed off back then are all gone and dead so it shouldn't be any reason for them not allowing them to use MLB licensed names and uniforms in the movie at this point in time. Chadwick Boseman would be great for this role but since he's already played Jackie Robinson probably would have to look for a different actor in the lead role. What about his Black Panther co-star Michael B. Jordan?
Or a new up and coming actor. I think a movie like that might be better in the hands of indie, dialogue driven guys instead of the big budget popcorn producer types.
Now I'm wondering what a Michael Bay baseball movie would be like and what creative ways he would find to fill the movie with unnecessary explosions and such.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

clearly curt flood should be played by...tom cruise

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

If I ever spring for a Cards jersey it will have Flood 21 on the back.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Jocephus wrote:clearly curt flood should be played by...tom cruise
Presidential cameo - Donald Trump IS Bowie Kuhn!

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

tlombard wrote:Now I'm wondering what a Michael Bay baseball movie would be like and what creative ways he would find to fill the movie with unnecessary explosions and such.
That's basically just the ending to The Natural

If the explosion:baseball ratio is still too low, he could always adapt this scene from Cowboy Bebop.

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Curt Flood sacrificed himself and his career because he saw an injustice.

He was reviled and subjected to ridicule.

Mostly, he didn't want to play for the Phillies. But, still...

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

But seriously. Curt's stand and subsequent fall was something I remember quite vividly.

I was only 8 when it started. But, in the years following the court case, I tried to follow him. His attempted comeback in '71 with the Senators, I still have a few baseball cards from that year.

My sister was going to SLU's Madrid program in '72. She would write about how Curt was living in Majorca and painting pictures.

Read his autobiography while in High School:

He was a hero to me and wasn't on any stamp I can think of.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:The Curt Flood story would really make for a good baseball movie. Could do it in the Moneyball style of where it involves baseball but i mostly what takes place behind the scenes of MLB.
I agree. Would be a great period piece.
I think that all of the old owners that Curt pissed off back then are all gone and dead so it shouldn't be any reason for them not allowing them to use MLB licensed names and uniforms in the movie at this point in time. Chadwick Boseman would be great for this role but since he's already played Jackie Robinson probably would have to look for a different actor in the lead role. What about his Black Panther co-star Michael B. Jordan?
Or a new up and coming actor. I think a movie like that might be better in the hands of indie, dialogue driven guys instead of the big budget popcorn producer types.
Boseman was pretty unknown when he was cast in 42 since before that all he really did was a bit role at the end of The Express.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Lawmakers push for Curt Flood's enshrinement in Hall of Fame
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/287 ... -hall-fame
WASHINGTON -- Curt Flood's widow has a simple explanation for why her late husband, who is revered by players for sacrificing his career to advocate for free agency, has not been enshrined in baseball's Hall of Fame.

"I think the holdup is that he got on a lot of people's nerves," Judy Pace Flood said.

Flood has some powerful advocates on his side.

Members of Congress sent a letter to the Hall of Fame on Thursday asking that Flood be elected in December by the next Golden Days committee. The recognition would coincide with the 50-year anniversary of Flood's defiant letter to baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn in which he wrote, "I do not feel that I am a piece of property to be bought and sold irrespective of my wishes."

"What Curt Flood did and championed is resonating throughout professional sports for the past 50 years," Rep. David Trone, a Maryland Democrat who is leading the push for Flood's enshrinement, said at a news conference.