All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 4/17/19 Other Games

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Bat flip leads to benches clearing in Chicago
White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson was hit in the backside by Royals right-hander Brad Keller’s first pitch in the bottom of the sixth inning, leading to a benches- and bullpen-clearing fracas during the Royals’ 4-3, 10-inning win at Guaranteed Rate Field on Wednesday.

Anderson homered in the fourth off Keller, the 50th of his career, and threw his bat toward the Sox dugout in celebration at the plate after he made contact. Two innings later, in his next at bat, Keller plunked him.

Arguments ensued as Royals catcher Martin Maldonado got in between Anderson and Keller. Eventually, first baseman Jose Abreu and bench coach Joe McEwing also restrained Anderson.

Both Keller and Anderson were ejected.

The situation appeared to be under control until White Sox manager Rick Renteria and Royals manager Ned Yost exchanged words near the first-base line. Renteria had to be restrained before everyone was cleared off the field and he also was then ejected. Royals bench coach Dale Sveum was ejected as well.
Yost and Keller maintained afterward that the hit-by-pitch simply was a pitch that got away. But others clearly saw it as retaliation for the bat flip/throw.

Asked if he noticed the bat flip, Maldonado said, “I think my mom saw that from back home. Everybody saw that. I get it if he hits like a walk-off [and then bat flips]. Fine. But you know, it was way early in the game. I know everybody reacts differently, but still at the same time you've got to respect the game.”

Anderson, though, insists he was just having fun and trying to fire up his teammates.

“It was all confusing,” Anderson said. “I was the one who ended up [being ejected and] in the locker room. I was the one who got hit by a pitch. It’s part of the game. Bat flips have become part of the game. But we are going to keep moving forward and keep having fun and I’m going to continue to be me.”

At least some of the Royals felt Anderson should have simply taken his base and been quiet after the hit-by-pitch.

“When you do something like that [a bat flip],” Royals third baseman Hunter Dozier said, “you kinda know you're going to get hit. Once you get hit, just deal with it. Go to first. That's my take on it.

"Keller did the right thing. He aimed for the lower body. Hit him. It should just be like ‘OK, go to first and move on.’ It shouldn't have been as big of a situation as it was in my opinion, but I could be wrong. I don't know."

Added Sveum, “I’m an old-school guy and if you just take your base, everything will be fine.”

Anderson, though, seemed puzzled by the old school/new school debate going on with bat flips in baseball.

“They don’t bother me,” Anderson said. “I don’t have any rules. I play fun, I play to have fun and I play with a lot of energy.”

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Votto popped out to first for the first time in 13 seasons
In 13 major league seasons, Joey Votto has caught his fair share of pop ups as the Cincinnati Reds first baseman. Amazingly though, through the first 6,828 plate appearances of his MLB career, he had never once hit a pop up that was caught by his counterpart.

That all changed Wednesday afternoon during the Reds 3-2 loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Pedro Báez got Votto to pop up to first baseman Cody Bellinger in foul territory. When Bellinger squeezed the ball for the final out in the eighth inning, one of MLB’s longest and most remarkable streaks was officially over.

It took Votto 1,592 games, 6,829 plate appearances and 27,918 pitches to be retired on what is a common play in MLB.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

pretty amazing