The Brewers, their fans and Miller Park

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: The Brewers, their fans and Miller Park

Post by Cronos »

To the topic of the thread: I've had markedly different experiences at Miller Park over the years. My first exposure was 2005, going up to see a game Matt Morris pitched (the game a day before Anthony Reyes made his major league debut) with my folks at the time.

Great time, great trip, very nice stadium, easy parking. Friendly riffing from the parking attendants: "Welcome to Wisconsin, Misery!". The food was really good and very affordable as well, extremely friendly staff. We were in decent (but not crazy good) seats and the fans were very welcoming and understanding. No obnoxious or rowdy opposing fans.

The next time I attended a Cards/Brewers game there was 2010 in the infamous "Nick Stavinoha actually hit a homer off of Trevor Hoffman" game. To be fair I was seated higher up in MUCH cheaper seats (sorry, just sayin'), but the crowd was WAY different then. Lots more young people, lots more drunk people, and after the homer from Stavinoha I didn't exactly jump up and down screaming (although I wanted to), and I got kicked rather hard in the backpack I was wearing by what looked like a twenty-year old gal as I was walking down the stairs exiting the game when it ended. I turned and looked at her bewildered and threw up my hands a little but said nothing and then continued away.

So ups and downs, unfortunately corresponding extremely well to "pleasant experience when the rival team sucked and there weren't many fans there" to "very unpleasant experience when a lot of bandwagon fans start coming when the team gets good". Still, that's been my experience at a lot of NL central rival stadiums (went to the Reds game last year when PoncedeLeon had the no-hitter going for a while and we eventually got walked off. Everyone was very polite until that happened).

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: The Brewers, their fans and Miller Park

Post by CardsofSTL »

Reds fans are horrible when their mediocre team is slightly better than mediocre. I go to a lot of games there but they rarely are good so normally the 14 Reds fans at the game stay fairly quiet.

Most of these stories make me want to try and get up to Miller sooner than later, maybe next season. Not eating any of those lube burgers that Rad talked about though. Sounds too greasy.