6/6 GDT: Reds(DeSclafani) vs Cardinals(Hudson) 12:15PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 6/6 GDT: Reds(DeSclafani) vs Cardinals(Hudson) 12:15PM C

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Pinch hitting was a no brainer. You got to leverage that situation even if Hudson is "pitching well." Don't they have iPads that can automatically calculate win expectancy and the best move for you given your bench, matchup, and bullpen health? Come on...

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Pinch hitting was a no brainer. You got to leverage that situation even if Hudson is "pitching well." Don't they have iPads that can automatically calculate win expectancy and the best move for you given your bench, matchup, and bullpen health? Come on...
If this was a September game, pinch hitting is a no brainer. But if you manage every game in the early part of the year as if there was no tomorrow, then the bullpen will be worn out by the end of the year.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The biggest gripe I have with Shildt this season is his decision making when it comes to pinch hitting or pulling/not pulling a starter. I get that it was somewhat early in the game; but the offense hasn't really been lighting it up lately; you got to take your shots when they come along.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Pinch hitting was a no brainer. You got to leverage that situation even if Hudson is "pitching well." Don't they have iPads that can automatically calculate win expectancy and the best move for you given your bench, matchup, and bullpen health? Come on...
If this was a September game, pinch hitting is a no brainer. But if you manage every game in the early part of the year as if there was no tomorrow, then the bullpen will be worn out by the end of the year.
Not really. Plenty of IL gaming and AAA arms to use throughout the year. Not to mention expanded rosters and having stretched out arms like Gomber and Ponce and Cabrera on the 40 man.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on June 6 19, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I think on the road I would've. But at home, your theoretically going to have the last laugh(AB). So as long as hes locked in, use him. No guarantee in the pen.

Edit: as I type, Hudson has lost command of the zone..

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Gameday is drunk.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Hudson has a 5.12 xFIP third time through an order. You absolutely pinch hit for him with bases loaded.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Past the 5th, wong's aloud to make contact now..

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Hudson has a 5.12 xFIP third time through an order. You absolutely pinch hit for him with bases loaded.
Oh I feel ya. That 3rd time through has been murder for him. But that don't track with Mike..

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

What good are switch hitters, when they can't hit a lick from one side of the plate?