6/10 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Marlins(Alcantara) 6PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: 6/10 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Marlins(Alcantara) 6PM CT

Post by Jocephus »

Everyone is asking that question. I've been asked it a bunch, in previous chats and in future chats and I imagine even in this chat. The answer clearly isn't satisfactory because the question continues. That does not appear likely. DeWitt is far more likely to rearrange assignments in the front office or the decision tree at that point than start over with the front office. As detail in previous chats -- so I won't bore you with the retelling -- DeWitt has a broader view of the Cardinals organization and its success than just the standings of the moment and the standings in the majors. He credits Mozeliak with building the current infrastructure that is open-minded to advanced methods and metrics, has a strong farm system, excellent revenue streams, and 10 consecutive years of winning teams. In my experience, DeWitt has not been a litmus owner -- and, candidly, he dislikes firing people, waiting until it's truly the only option that he has.
Derrick Goold

Hi Derrick. I'll ask the question no one will ask (from twitter yesterday)....will Bill DeWitt fire John Mozeliak if the Cardinals fail to make the playoffs for the 4th consecutive season?. thanks.
Mike Dutler

haiku4u
AAA Minor League Player

Post by haiku4u »

Sandy, you were once
our future, our shining knight.
Marlins lose, nice beach.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

wart57 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I'm beginning to worry that we bought heavily into the decline phase of an aging 1B slugger.
And 3rd baseman, and pitcher...
Three Extensions That Did Not Need to Happen
By John Mozeliak

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Jocephus wrote:
Everyone is asking that question. I've been asked it a bunch, in previous chats and in future chats and I imagine even in this chat. The answer clearly isn't satisfactory because the question continues. That does not appear likely. DeWitt is far more likely to rearrange assignments in the front office or the decision tree at that point than start over with the front office. As detail in previous chats -- so I won't bore you with the retelling -- DeWitt has a broader view of the Cardinals organization and its success than just the standings of the moment and the standings in the majors. He credits Mozeliak with building the current infrastructure that is open-minded to advanced methods and metrics, has a strong farm system, excellent revenue streams, and 10 consecutive years of winning teams. In my experience, DeWitt has not been a litmus owner -- and, candidly, he dislikes firing people, waiting until it's truly the only option that he has.
Derrick Goold

Hi Derrick. I'll ask the question no one will ask (from twitter yesterday)....will Bill DeWitt fire John Mozeliak if the Cardinals fail to make the playoffs for the 4th consecutive season?. thanks.
Mike Dutler
The bolded part above is the where we are now. It's the last option. Again, Mo's contract is up in 2020, not sure why Goold failed to bring that up. It makes moving on from him relatively easy.

As with Jocketty and then later with Matheny, it's sometimes best to move on, as challenging, uncomfortable, and annoying as that process can be.

Rearranging the front office deck chairs does nothing if Mo still has final say.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm guessing goold didn't bring it up 'cause he doesn't think mo is going anywhere

its easy to say online "time to move on".

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Derrick never saw the Matheny firing coming either...

I feel bad for him though--covering this mess of a team.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm not sure that's entirely true ( i don't remember every comment or word he's written)...but also how is he supposed to? i realize you and others don't think his job is real or has duties other than tooting the company horn but it seems unwise for him to say "yep, matheny's gonna be fired" without any sort of evidence...well other than a click bait title/tweet etc

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Jocephus wrote:i'm not sure that's entirely true ( i don't remember every comment or word he's written)...but also how is he supposed to? i realize you and others don't think his job is real or has duties other than tooting the company horn but it seems unwise for him to say "yep, matheny's gonna be fired" without any sort of evidence...well other than a click bait title/tweet etc
That's not what I mean. Look at Langosch's reporting the weeks leading up, and look at Goold's. Big difference.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i don't care about the differences between the two. you might not believe it but sometimes reporters have to hold on reporting details that they have, for a variety of reasons. i don't know why people expect goold to be a gossip columnist or to blow the top off on the "dewitt money making medicrity" plan. you think langosch is better? great.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Moz built the team and only massages the roster, until July. As long as the players underperform, John is safe. This team should be competing with the talent it has. The starters giving weak performances across the board is all about prep, both physically and mentally. That's why Maddux will be the 1st scapegoat to get canned; he wasn't a cardinal guy before he got here, so guys like Shildt\clapp\Blaise\etc are all guys that can be 'repositioned' without shipping them completely out of the organization. Hell, I'm sure Mike would gladly take a backseat before he left the org that he's loved his whole life.