6/10 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Marlins(Alcantara) 6PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Re: 6/10 GDT: Cardinals(Wacha)@Marlins(Alcantara) 6PM CT

Post by ThatGuy »

I tend to agree that he won't lose his job this season, but the grousing is going to get much, much louder, especially if we finish in the vicinity of .500. I hope reporters start asking uncomfortable questions more often.

I look at teams like the Astros and weep. We're being left in the dust.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

ThatGuy wrote:I tend to agree that he won't lose his job this season, but the grousing is going to get much, much louder, especially if we finish in the vicinity of .500. I hope reporters start asking uncomfortable questions more often.

I look at teams like the Astros and weep. We're being left in the dust.
Don't count on Goold to do that.

The name of the game is "keep up" not "catch up." Mo is sticking to a status quo when the formula is very obviously failing to the fanbase, and WAY obvious to the smarter baseball fans.

Mozeliak's contract is up in 2020. Really easy to move on from it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'm not really disagreeing with your alls opinion of how they should look at Mozeliak's performance, I'm just saying that from all accounts of the people that report and have interactions with the Dewitts, there is a large disconnect. Of course, some of that may be lip service. But, it doesn't sound like they're just saying "Oh yeah, totally happy. Uh huh. Mo's safe" but it's a much more impassioned faith in him. We can argue if there should be faith in him or not, but in the end, it's not our call to make.

Also, it should be noted, that we have no clue what they're discussing internally.

The Dewitts could have come to Mo and said, we want to aim for 89-91 wins and the WC spot and want to spend $X or preferably less to do it, and he's doing just that. IMO, he falls under a lot more heat if the team performs well and they miss the playoffs by a game or two (which has been happening) as that kind of makes it look like he's not capable of building the team properly. But, if he builds a team like this year which, yes, has some issues with the pitching staff, but is much better than how they've performed, especially offensively, post April, it kind of relieves some of the pressure on him because, well, if a team's underperforming how does that get put on the GM?

Again, this is a completely made up scenario but just wanted to throw it out there despite it probably not being completely true.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Yes, I understand those points. I do think he is told to build the team in a certain way. I do think the college pitcher drafting philosophy and handling of the minor leagues has had DeWitt's touches on it. Mostly because of the maximization of talent at low costs. I do think Mo builds the team to be .525 with a hope and a prayer on variance and tries to utilize coaching to get some extra wins (Albert, etc.) and that hasn't worked out this year.

Mozeliak put a lot of money into extensions of Mikolas and Carpenter when he didn't need to. He burned lots of money on relievers and players that see little playing time (Gyorko) and shipped to other teams (Leake). DeWitt remembers the money things. Sure, DeWitt probably doesn't care about the Pham trade. But he is probably recognizing what we all see, that Mo's returns have been awful the past half decade or so on trades. On top of that, he put way too much on the back of those young and unproven rotation, with two of them injured constantly and one of them is 37 and pitches like it.

I realize I'm repeating myself at this point but god damn, it's frustrating.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Can someone on this team start to hit?

I say bench either Bader or Fowler - plug in Hulk and see what happens.

I think Wong needs a long rest too - he has stunk up the joint the last month.

This team needs a shakeup.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Seems like Dewitt might understand that a chronically poor baseball team will hurt his other investments as well. I remember going to games in the late 70s. 1978, 17th in mlb attendance, behind Expos.

Never in the bottom tier but not the numbers/interest i would think they need.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

Goold said recently (can't remember if it was a snarky exchange on Twitter or something on the PD's website) that Mo's directive has never been "win a Wild Card spot" because it can be such a volatile situation. The goal has always been to get to the playoffs as the best team from the NL Central.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

The current structure can’t stay in place if the season remains on this path. They’ve already fired a manager and overhauled the coaching staff more than once. Maybe they dump Shildt. Otherwise, it’s gotta be the baseball ops that changes.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm beginning to worry that we bought heavily into the decline phase of an aging 1B slugger.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

heyzeus wrote:I'm beginning to worry that we bought heavily into the decline phase of an aging 1B slugger.
And 3rd baseman, and outfielder...