GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 20 19, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:02 am 
Mayor of GRB

Cronos asked a good question last night about what bugged people about Brad Thompson. I have no problem if people like his commentary or style, but when I said he talks too much or too quickly, this only gets to part of what I don't like about him. To me, there's an empty verbosity with his color commentary that he really needs to fix, especially for a tv broadcast.

It's the old joke about bad tv shows and movies that flash a picture of the ranch, and label the picture "Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .," which the audience can plainly see for themselves.

To me, Thompson too often rewords what McLaughlin just said like a romance writer with a thesaurus fetish, and says with about thirty-five additional words what the viewers saw for themselves.

So McLaughlin will say, "nice pivot by Wong to turn that double play," and Thompson will merely embellish it: "Josh Bell goes fishing for that Wainwright 12 to 6 curve and cue-balls it over to De Jong, who scoops it up like some choice Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie on a waffle cone, and flips that diet-busting bad boy to Wong, who scarfs it down like Augustus Gloop at Willy Wonka's chocolate factory . . . " But he really didn't describe anything that I didn't see, or focus on one aspect of the play (the pitch sequence, positioning, etc.) that would illuminate the play from a player's perspective.

Too often, he simply rephrases McLaughlin's comment and then narrates the replay, with exuberant slang or a gushy metaphor thrown in. So with Thompson, I feel like I'm getting radio commentary on tv, which drives me nuts.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:21 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

sighyoung wrote:
Too often, he simply rephrases McLaughlin's comment and then narrates the replay, with exuberant slang or a gushy metaphor thrown in. So with Thompson, I feel like I'm getting radio commentary on tv, which drives me nuts.

I agree. Quite regularly, he will bust in there like a bull in a China factory and say what McLauchlin said all over again, repeating it, you know, and then he'll try to tell a story about the replay, often throwing in some kind of ridiculous and over-the-top analogy or a metaphor that gushes out like those old gummy style candies we used to get as kids in the 90's - remember Gushers? The best. So, yeah, with Thompson, you hate to make it all about feelings, but I do feel like I'm just getting the kind of thing that they do on the Cardinals radio broadcasts, except on TV where the watcher can already see it, and that makes me saltier than the contents of a generic can of mixed nuts that I picked up from Dollar General. Do you ever get that? Dan? I did once and that crap is all salt and peanuts.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:31 am 
Replies Authoritatively

Long Live Vin Scully, verbose yarn-spinner but never repeating what a booth mate had already said.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:33 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

I like Brad Thompson; but not his play by play analysis. He talks too fast and too much without actually saying anything. I like Edmonds' analysis the most; but he is pretty dry as far as that goes. Maybe they need a three man booth.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:38 am 
Hall Of Famer

Radio guy living in a tv world.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:41 am 
All Hail the New GDT Master

I bet Ankiel would be good in the booth.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:46 am 
Hall Of Famer

CardsofSTL wrote:
I bet Ankiel would be good in the booth.

Matt Holliday ftw!

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:49 am 
Mayor of GRB

In contrast to Thompson, I really liked the color commentary from the Pirates announcers in the first game of the series. It wasn't Steve Blass--I don't know who it was, but it seemed clear that it was a former pitcher.

Anyway, that color announcer's commentary wasn't merely situational, but really set up how to interpret not just one at-bat, but what might happen later in the game and in the entire series.

So, for instance, when Paul Goldschmidt first came up to bat, the announcer not only mentioned Goldschmidt's struggles, but he detailed what to look for that had made him so successful in the past, and what might indicate that Goldy was righting the ship.

After that at-bat, he really broke down what he was seeing Goldschmidt do differently from the previous Pirates-Cardinals series. For instance, there was a borderline pitch on the outside corner that Goldschmidt took for a ball rather than lunge at, and the announcer immediately said to watch out, G wasn't lunging for that pitch but was staying back, and that was a sign that he was seeing the ball clearly, and confident with his opposite-field power.

I'm probably conflating a lot, but the announcer provided context that empowered the viewer, and really created drama for later at-bats--and made the announcer look quite prescient when Goldschmidt did damage in that game.

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:49 am 
Veteran Player

Brad should just stick with the Cardinal's Kids shows and clown around with FredBird

PostPosted: July 25 19, 8:51 am 
-go birds

CardsofSTL wrote:
I like Brad Thompson; but not his play by play analysis. He talks too fast and too much without actually saying anything. I like Edmonds' analysis the most; but he is pretty dry as far as that goes. Maybe they need a three man booth.

this is the camp im in

bring in a 4-man booth with all of them !