Hall Of Famer

Randy Arozarena in 31 games at AAA

Post by Spider John »

Being discussed by Kevin Wheeler on 101 ESPN Radio

Left fielder, not on the 40 man
avg OB% slug OPS
.358 .426 .558 .985
Why not give the man a chance?
Last edited by Spider John on July 17 19, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Re: Randy Arezanodo in 31 games at AAA

Post by PA_Hiker »

It might ruin his trade value. If he performs in the Show, Mo won't be able to trade him for a LOOGY. We can only trade potential plus OF before they get good unless they pop off in a magazine article.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

.413 BABIP

Shave .100 points off in MLB, shave another .100-.150 of PCL slugging and look at his K/BB.... and seeing a very Lane Thomas type that might help win a game here and there but not sure he's a world beater yet. I'm interested though.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

It's Arozarena. Hard to spell, but thought I would correct for those who want to look up his stats and profile.

He's had a great season all around. He also hit .309/.422/.515 in AA before his call up. All of that looks great, and I'm not one to disparage a toolsy prospect who might have figured it out. We did that with Pham for a long time, and for him, it did actually click. Usually it doesn't. So, caution is warranted here.

Last year in AAA, Arozarena hit .232/.328/.348 in over 300 PA's. His first run in AA in '17? .252/.366/.380. He seems to figure things out the second time through levels, which is something to note. Second run at AA -- .396/..455/.681 in just 100 PA's or so.

I hate to throw BABIP into this because when you're crushing the ball, you can have a high BABIP and it's not all luck. But, so far this season, Arozarena's BABIP is .413 at AAA and .380 at AA. Neither are even close to possible at the MLB level. Bader's slide gives Arozarena a possible opening, but, with a full 40 man (I think), and Ozuna returning soon, I don't see what Arozarena can really give us. A handful of starts, maybe, and then he's just fighting with O'Neill for regular playing time, and I give that playing time to O'Neill over Arozerena every time.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:.413 BABIP

Shave .100 points off in MLB, shave another .100-.150 of PCL slugging and look at his K/BB.... and seeing a very Lane Thomas type that might help win a game here and there but not sure he's a world beater yet. I'm interested though.
Arozarena's profile isn't all that different than Tommy Pham's coming up. Tommy showed a bit more power early but not much after and both are/were in AA/AAA at similar ages. Both a bit old for prospects due to various reasons but both give you good on base skills with manageable strikeouts, high BABiP, good speed on the bases and average-ish defense. I'm not saying Randy becomes Tommy 2.0 because that's probably a 90th percentile outcome but I'd expect Arozarena to be a good 4th OF to solid starter as a reasonable midpoint.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

PA_Hiker wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:.413 BABIP

Arozarena's profile isn't all that different than Tommy Pham's coming up. Tommy showed a bit more power early but not much after and both are/were in AA/AAA at similar ages. Both a bit old for prospects due to various reasons but both give you good on base skills with manageable strikeouts, high BABiP, good speed on the bases and average-ish defense. I'm not saying Randy becomes Tommy 2.0 because that's probably a 90th percentile outcome but I'd expect Arozarena to be a good 4th OF to solid starter as a reasonable midpoint.
Then sign me up

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Randy Arozarena in 31 games at AAA

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Everyone shut up for a second.

I move that we call him 'Rice-a-roni'. Can I get a second?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I don't believe in him one bit, but I'd be fine bringing him up and shipping Bader to Memphis.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

One of those guys that's had good springs, but never had an opening. Certainly wouldn't hurt to see what we have. We have to stop protecting the Tyler Webb's of the world from getting claimed.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Huge Randy fan. Saw him get about 5 hits in two games in Jupiter therefore I’m fully convinced in his skills