GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 24 19, 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What are people's expectations of Alex Reyes, going forward?
Reaches ace/#1 starter level and stays there 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Reaches ace/#1 starter level but briefly due to injuries/inconsistency 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Settles in as a mid-tier starter and stays there 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Settles in as a mid-tier starter but again with the injuries 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Bottom of the rotation starter 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never makes enough starts in a season to be considered a regular in the rotation 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 32
Author Message
PostPosted: August 6 19, 11:39 am 
Offline
Perennial All-Star
User avatar

Joined: September 20 06, 10:55 am
Posts: 3343
I don't expect him to ever make a start. I am figuring that he will pitch in a pen, but be wild and not very effective this fall. He will have a great offseason and 'look great' when he shows up to spring. We will use him as an excuse to not sign a starter. He will win a starters job and then get hurt the week before the season starts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 6 19, 2:46 pm 
Online
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 24742
Location: Raptured
He's gonna be damn good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 6 19, 2:48 pm 
Offline
99% conan clips
User avatar

Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Posts: 55058
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
He's gonna be damn good.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 12:48 pm 
Offline
Perennial All-Star

Joined: November 6 10, 10:58 am
Posts: 7474
sorry, forgot about this thread that was just created (and trying to get to 7500 posts)

Quote:
Alex Reyes is traveling to St. Louis for diagnostics on a right pectoral injury.
Reyes has been held out of minor league action since late June due to lingering pain around his right pec, and now the Cardinals will run more tests to try to get to the root of the issue. The 24-year-old former top prospect is probably done for the remainder of 2019, which means he has now essentially lost three consecutive seasons to injuries. Reyes appeared in only four games for St. Louis this year, after making only one appearance in 2018.

SOURCE: Mark Saxon on Twitter
Aug 7, 2019, 2:22 PM ET


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 9:18 pm 
Offline
Veteran Player

Joined: June 19 18, 5:36 pm
Posts: 614
cardsfantx wrote:
sorry, forgot about this thread that was just created (and trying to get to 7500 posts)

Quote:
Alex Reyes is traveling to St. Louis for diagnostics on a right pectoral injury.
Reyes has been held out of minor league action since late June due to lingering pain around his right pec, and now the Cardinals will run more tests to try to get to the root of the issue. The 24-year-old former top prospect is probably done for the remainder of 2019, which means he has now essentially lost three consecutive seasons to injuries. Reyes appeared in only four games for St. Louis this year, after making only one appearance in 2018.

SOURCE: Mark Saxon on Twitter
Aug 7, 2019, 2:22 PM ET


Reyes is done for another year. He has no trade value...just cut him loose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 7 19, 10:05 pm 
Online
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
User avatar

Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Posts: 24742
Location: Raptured
booger71 wrote:
Reyes is done for another year. He has no trade value...just cut him loose.

If he has no trade value why would you just cut him loose?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8 19, 5:22 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: June 26 06, 8:54 pm
Posts: 11198
Location: kintore/yuendumu
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
booger71 wrote:
Reyes is done for another year. He has no trade value...just cut him loose.

If he has no trade value why would you just cut him loose?

Yeah, that's not a logical transaction, but Reyes is most likely toast.

I think the way to look at this is to ask what you would trade for Reyes. Sure, I'd give the hypothetical team Carpenter (and Carpenter's contract) or something like that. I don't think I'd bother to give them even Tommy Edman though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8 19, 6:03 am 
Offline
Veteran Player

Joined: June 19 18, 5:36 pm
Posts: 614
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
booger71 wrote:
Reyes is done for another year. He has no trade value...just cut him loose.

If he has no trade value why would you just cut him loose?


Well obviously we have to pay his contract through the end of the season, but don't renew it after that. Why continue to throw money at him to sit on the IL after this season?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8 19, 8:49 am 
Offline
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
Posts: 27450
Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
We're not paying him anything more than the league minimum, and even that might be affected by his time in AAA. Probably not though because injuries were involved and it was a major league contract to begin with as opposed to a minor league contract where he received MLB time. I'm not sure about how all that works anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: August 8 19, 9:47 am 
Offline
Hall Of Famer

Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm
Posts: 12190
Yeah I don’t see what positive comes with cutting ties. He’s still only 25 and costs nothing but time.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cardinalsx, Google [Bot], InvincibleCakeEater, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mdcardfan60 and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group