Cardinals Assets

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: Cardinals Assets

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I don't talk about them like they are a model org. I just said Mo hasn't adapted well to a consistently successful org in the division.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I don't talk about them like they are a model org. I just said Mo hasn't adapted well to a consistently successful org in the division.

Stop putting words in my mouth.
I am confused as to what this sentence means.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:I don't talk about them like they are a model org. I just said Mo hasn't adapted well to a consistently successful org in the division.
Big Amoco Sign wrote:One big problem is that Theo has rebuilt the Cubs and their brand. They are spending team with great analytics like the Dodgers. That doesn't help with Mo's classic style of fielding pitch-to-contact/draft college pitchers/get cheap toolsy players. It just won't defeat the team that tanked for good picks and then influenced lots of good FAs to come there. And a GM that has a knack for making impactful trades. The Cubs's trading is so much better these days. Especially their deadline deals.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote: I am confused as to what this sentence means.
What's confusing about it?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:One big problem is that Theo has rebuilt the Cubs and their brand. They are spending team with great analytics like the Dodgers. That doesn't help with Mo's classic style of fielding pitch-to-contact/draft college pitchers/get cheap toolsy players. It just won't defeat the team that tanked for good picks and then influenced lots of good FAs to come there. And a GM that has a knack for making impactful trades. The Cubs's trading is so much better these days. Especially their deadline deals.
Yep. What I said. Where did I call them a model organization?

Mo isn't adapting well to a consistent central division threat. Why are you guys disagreeing? It's demonstrably true.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
How does a GM adapt well to what another team in his division is doing?

I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

dmarx114 wrote: I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.
You're not supposed to field a team that can counter the projections of a division threat? A team you are in direct competition with for the division and play 12 times a year?

Huh?

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

dmarx114 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
How does a GM adapt well to what another team in his division is doing?

I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.
Does anyone in any position in any business ever operate in a vacuum?

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

MLB.com: Do you like the challenge of having a team like the Cubs in your division?

Mozeliak: I would say this: When you look at the last 15 years of the Cardinals, there's always been some team. Milwaukee was strong for a while, Cincinnati was strong, Pittsburgh has been strong. There's always somebody competitive. I think the difference between the three teams I just mentioned and Chicago is just resources. We sort of always joked that there's a sleeping giant out there -- and it's been awoken.

MLB.com: With them having gone as long as they did without winning, it was always them chasing the World Series -- and you were one of the teams usually in their way. Do you feel like you're chasing them now?

Mozeliak: I think that's fair. I mean, obviously, they won. I think we finished 17 games behind them last year. I would say that's chasing. Just from a credibility standpoint, we're still a well-respected organization, but their most recent success would mean we have some work to do.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote: I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.
You're not supposed to field a team that can counter the projections of a division threat? A team you are in direct competition with for the division and play 12 times a year?

Huh?
Having a hard time with that myself.

It's not that John hasn't tried to adjust. It's that when he has, the results lacked. Leake was a bad deal, mostly because the guy we needed was Scherzer. But that was who we got. Fowler, again, wasn't what this team needed; we had a lead off hitter, we needed power in the OF. Cecil looked like a good signing, despite some trends going the wrong direction.

As stated somewhere in here, the guys they've targeted haven't worked out, and rather than shift to other players they've closed up shop. Multiple winter meetings have ended this way; trade deadline too.

It's like in basketball, when you've dribbled, then stopped. All you have left is to pivot, pass, or shoot. You can't pass it, so rather than try to take a shot that might go in, you just throw the ball at the hoop as hard as you can.