GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently August 24 19, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Assets
PostPosted: August 8 19, 12:24 pm 
Hall Of Famer

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.

You're not supposed to field a team that can counter the projections of a division threat? A team you are in direct competition with for the division and play 12 times a year?

Huh?

I think Mo's goal each year is to build a 90 win team, regardless of competition. Before Theo, I don't think he thought "the competition sucks. I only need to build an 87 win team."

PostPosted: August 8 19, 12:31 pm 
-go birds

dmarx114 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
dmarx114 wrote:
I would have thought a GM should just focus on his own team, and not make moves based on what a team in his division is doing.

You're not supposed to field a team that can counter the projections of a division threat? A team you are in direct competition with for the division and play 12 times a year?

Huh?

I think Mo's goal each year is to build a 90 win team, regardless of competition. Before Theo, I don't think he thought "the competition sucks. I only need to build an 87 win team."

well he's failing at that

PostPosted: August 8 19, 12:31 pm 
Master of Hyperbole

His methods were closer to 84 wins and hoping coaching and other factors would get him on positive side of variance. And those worked until Theo’s team was built.

Honestly it doesn’t matter arguing with you because the proof is in the damn pudding the past four years.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 7:17 am 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Gallegos for closer 2020!

This looks like one of those trades that worked out well for both teams. Best kind of trade. Next year, Gallegos needs to close and Martinez needs to move back to the rotation. Our best chance at success.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 7:39 am 
99% conan clips

flip him for cheap, under control utility player!

PostPosted: August 11 19, 7:44 am 
Perennial All-Star

Jocephus wrote:
flip him for cheap, under control utility player!

Shh. Don't give Mo any ideas.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 8:17 am 
The Last Word

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
I don't talk about them like they are a model org. I just said Mo hasn't adapted well to a consistently successful org in the division.

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
One big problem is that Theo has rebuilt the Cubs and their brand. They are spending team with great analytics like the Dodgers. That doesn't help with Mo's classic style of fielding pitch-to-contact/draft college pitchers/get cheap toolsy players. It just won't defeat the team that tanked for good picks and then influenced lots of good FAs to come there. And a GM that has a knack for making impactful trades. The Cubs's trading is so much better these days. Especially their deadline deals.

Yep. What I said. Where did I call them a model organization?

Mo isn't adapting well to a consistent central division threat. Why are you guys disagreeing? It's demonstrably true.

How is Mo supposed to adapt to a GM that has $55M more in salary resources than STL does? It's not like Theo is outsmarting anyone. He's not outsmarting anyone these days, and hasn't for awhile.

The Brewers and David Stearns is who we should be having this discussion about. They're doing a great job.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 9:44 am 
-go birds

I'm not gonna say that stearns isnt a good GM or anything, but he lucked into the yelich deal imo.

It's making him look like a genius right now.

PostPosted: August 11 19, 10:38 am 
Master of Hyperbole

Fat Strat wrote:

Gallegos for closer 2020!

This looks like one of those trades that worked out well for both teams. Best kind of trade. Next year, Gallegos needs to close and Martinez needs to move back to the rotation. Our best chance at success.

It was a good trade but why are they ignoring what Voit did last year for the Yankees?

Voit has had 3.5 fWAR since the trade!

Yeah let’s ignore Voit helping Yanks get into the playoffs last year...

PostPosted: August 11 19, 3:31 pm 
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Socnorb11 wrote:
How is Mo supposed to adapt to a GM that has $55M more in salary resources than STL does? It's not like Theo is outsmarting anyone. He's not outsmarting anyone these days, and hasn't for awhile.

The Brewers and David Stearns is who we should be having this discussion about. They're doing a great job.

They've dumped their farm and have a pretty decent shot at finishing the season below .500.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next