8/11 GDT: Pirates (Brault) vs. Cardinals (Mikolas) 1:15 PM

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 8/11 GDT: Pirates (Brault) vs. Cardinals (Mikolas) 1:15

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Lane Thomas has a 225 OPS+. Is that good?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tlombard wrote:I ended up seeing a good game at Fenway and I'm glad I went but while following this game on my phone, I was kind of wishing that I was watching the Cards come back instead. Seeing one hit over the Green Monster was cool though and I said I wanted that to happen before the game started. There's that. Otherwise it was just a ballgame between two teams that I can't really care about even if it did go to 10 innings.
jealous, I've always wanted to go to Fenway. How was it?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
tlombard wrote:I ended up seeing a good game at Fenway and I'm glad I went but while following this game on my phone, I was kind of wishing that I was watching the Cards come back instead. Seeing one hit over the Green Monster was cool though and I said I wanted that to happen before the game started. There's that. Otherwise it was just a ballgame between two teams that I can't really care about even if it did go to 10 innings.
jealous, I've always wanted to go to Fenway. How was it?
I expected to be let down but I absolutely wasn't. The area around the stadium was packed hours before the game with people wandering around. There were lots of stands selling food (sausages and steak tips seem to be the big thing) and soda. No booze being sold like out in front of BPV though. There are bars and restaurants around the stadium but I still had my luggage with me so I just walked around and didn't go in anywhere. Once my coworker finally got there and parked, I was able to put my luggage in his car and by that point we had to head straight to the gate to meet the rest of the team.

We were in the bleachers so I didn't experience the concourse on the infield portion of the stadium but the concourse was roomy enough. They had plenty of stands selling food and drink. The seating was odd in that we were five rows from the back of the bleachers and it felt like we were walking a mile up tiny steps to get there. We were still really low but way back from the field and it was hard to follow the pitch at times depending on the sun. The seats are also small. They are not built for modern Americans and our girth. You are packed in there. And if the sun is out, you will bake in the bleachers. It also feels really weird to look out at an outfield that has as many quirks as Fenway does. Right field and center look really weird from the bleachers. The Green Monster just looks like a big wall that is a little closer than other left field walls, it was the other outfield quirks that really caught my attention and struck me as odd.

Overall, the stadium was great. I highly recommend going there. Unlike Wrigley, the fans were into the game and the stadium has actual character. It was neat to notice the little platforms that were added well after the stadium was built to give a spot for TV cameras and the people working them. They are just kind of hanging out from the bottom of the second deck! I would definitely want to sit closer next time because the back rows can be really far back even if you aren't very high. The thud when one hits off of the Green Monster is definitely unique and cool. I am used to balls hitting padding on a wall and you don't really hear anything unless you are right there. There really are a lot of little things to notice around the stadium and by not getting the chance to wander all around the inside, I am sure I missed 99% of the charming little quirks.

Oh, and they do some weird, "Whoop, whoop!" thing when a pitcher strikes out a batter. I think they might just now be trying to start that because at the beginning of the game I noticed it but didn't hear any fans participate. As the game went on, people started joining in more. I'm not sure if that is a regular thing or new or just a one off.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

jagtrader wrote:Tortured call by Dan. Great moment, though.
Croaking like an adolescent, he was. Jimmy even told him to get ready.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Tortured call by Dan. Great moment, though.
Croaking like an adolescent, he was. Jimmy even told him to get ready.
Poor Dan has been sick for like a week!