Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on September 8. I mixed in another question about playoff predictions... just because.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... -5981.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Goldschmidt trade win-win?

Mark Polishuk
It'll still be some time before we can make a ruling on that one, and if you're the Cardinals, you had to have been hoping for more than the good-but-not-great numbers Goldy has posted this season. Especially since they haven't even gotten into his extension years yet.
In response to this season’s struggles, do you see Ricketts taking off Theo’s $$ shackles or tightening them?

Mark Polishuk
Keep in mind, the Cubs are only financially restrained in the sense that they won't exceed the top luxury tax penalty. They don't have much of an issue in exceeding the tax itself, at least on a one- or two-year basis.

The Cubs will get a lot of money off the books this winter so there should be some spending room, though I'm not sure they'll necessarily exceed this year's payroll number.
Danny Hultzen isn’t post season eligible, is he? So what happens if he's very good in the final weeks?

Mark Polishuk
He is eligible, since he has been in the organization (if not at the MLB level) prior to September 1.

btw, Danny Hultzen emerging as a relief weapon to lead a team into the playoffs would be an incredible story.
So many teams with bullpen issues. Some, like Phillies, can be attributed to injuries. How do you explain teams such as Cubs, Nationals, Red Sox and Braves?

Mark Polishuk
Those teams have had their share of injuries too, but in general, bullpen performance is just really hard to predict from year to year.

Also, as some recent articles have pointed out, the modern reliance on relief pitching may also be contributing to some struggles, since relievers are tossing more innings and perhaps getting overworked.
Talk to me about the Arizona Diamondbacks. Will they get a Wild Card spot? If yes how or what is needed, if not why do you believe not? Thanks for your time.

Mark Polishuk
The D'Backs have been a great story, they simply refuse to go away. I'd have to give them a very solid shot at the wild card in part because of their schedule: of their 19 remaining games, 12 are against the Reds, Marlins, and Padres.
Do the Cards win the Central?

Mark Polishuk
I tend to think yes, but they still play the Cubs seven more times, including the last series of the year. Wouldn't it be cool if it came down to those final three games?
The Reds acquired Bauer with apparent interest in retaining him for a run at contention in 2020, but do his struggles in Cincinnati affect their plans for him?

Mark Polishuk
You mean, would they flip him in the offseason? Unless there's something going on behind the scenes, I highly doubt it. Bauer's struggles are a concern, no doubt, though the Reds are hoping he'll adjust after a full offseason of preparation.
Would E. Suarez garner MVP votes if Cincy was still in the race for at least a WC spot?

Mark Polishuk
In theory yes, but Suarez is also only 49th amongst all MLB hitters in fWAR. His big home run total is making his (still very good) season seem better than it is.
(He took the following questions all at one time)

Blueprint for the Cubs offseason? A significant shakeup of the roster seems necessary, but they seem to be exclusively comprised of guys with no trade value and guys who are so valuable that it's hard to see how you could trade them and get better (ie Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras).

Has Theo given Maddon a roster of blame? No leadoff man, closer signed in July, and oh yeah, Theo traded LaMahieu for DJ Stewart within 60 days of getting the Cub gig in 2011. More valuable today, Joe or Theo?

Does Theo start another rebuild after 2019 ends?

Mark Polishuk
So many Cubs question! First of all, "Roster Of Blame" is a great name for a fantasy team.

Theo Epstein hinted bigger moves could come last winter and then not much happened, so while you'd think something would have to give this time around, it's not necessarily a guarantee.

I could see the Cubs pursuing trades of other younger, perhaps-underachieving types of players in sort of "change of scenery" deals involving their own guys like Almora, Happ, etc. I don't think you'll see any of the big names moved unless they really didn't feel they could re-sign Kris Bryant, for instance.
(Someone posing as "Vince Coleman" asked...)

Do/did you enjoy the 80s speed game or today's power game more?

Mark Polishuk
I missed a good chunk of the 80's baseball scene due to a) not being born yet, and b) being a little kid.

So while I'm perhaps I'm not the best judge, I'm generally in favor of a halfway point between the two extremes.
What are your predictions for the AL and NL wild card? What about the World Series?

Mark Polishuk
A's, Rays, Nationals, D'Backs take the wild cards.

My WS pick is the Yankees over the Dodgers.
No, it would not be great if the NL Central came down to the last 3 games. Go Cards!

Mark Polishuk
It'd be exciting for me, who has no horse in the race. Go chaos!
Do you think Yasmani Grandal will opt out of his contract? What kind of contract do you think he will sign?

Mark Polishuk
He's definitely opting out. I wouldn't be surprised if he tops the four-year, $60MM deal he rejected from the Mets last offseason, since he'll no longer have a qualifying offer hanging over him.
Verdugo, Gonsolin, Downs, Ruiz for Felipe Vazquez. Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
Dodgers say no very quickly.