Post by Socnorb11 »

Way to go, Fat! Love it!

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Mo girsh extended

Post by Fat Strat »

cardsfantx wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:
waino was a clear overachievement. counting on him to replicate in 2020 is our first mistake so far this offseason.
Just to be clear that Tweet was specifically about offense. From a starting pitching standpoint, AW, Flaherty, Hudson all overachieved by some metrics. Evaluating relievers that way is a fools errand, so I won’t try.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Thanks again, everyone.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Didn't the Cardinals' very good defense play a part in some of those pitchers outperforming their metrics, and isn't that repeatable, to some degree?

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:No way Carlson is here before June 1.
I would be surprised but unlike other orgs, they won’t make this a hard and fast rule. If he forces his way into the lineup on opening day because of a ridiculous spring, they will play him. I think they kind of hope he will. I mean, who doesn’t hope their top prospect blows up the league right away.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

Socnorb11 wrote:Didn't the Cardinals' very good defense play a part in some of those pitchers outperforming their metrics, and isn't that repeatable, to some degree?
Hudson and AW we’re both GB pitchers so it’s possible. It’s worth looking into.

With AW, I think he overachieved simply by staying healthy and being decent. Most expected him to be hurt and ineffective because of injury. Low bar but he definitely raised it.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Socnorb11 wrote:Didn't the Cardinals' very good defense play a part in some of those pitchers outperforming their metrics, and isn't that repeatable, to some degree?
Carpenter has to play, right? If DeJong's defense dips a bit, which I think it's likely to as he played out of his mind and overachieved there, then the left side is a bit of a question mark to repeat.

Does Carpenter play 1000+ innings at 3B?

The corner OF is a black hole defensively. Bader's stick going to keep him in the field for 1000+ innings?

Is Carlson going to help if he's promoted?

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Dammit, now I have to remember this.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Fat Strat wrote: Considering the likely direction of the roster at this point and the payroll limitations, internal improvements are really the key to 2020. I'm sure there will be a focused addition or two -- Moustakas is looking like a likely get. But, I really do think everyone should be prepared for "we like who we have". And who we have really should/could be better. Goldschmidt, Carpenter, DeJong, and Bader are 4 guys who are likely to see marginal improvements just through improved luck and better results on outlier performance. Goldschmidt in particular. Not saying that Carpenter is going to be a 5 WAR player again, but a Fowler-like tick back in the right direction should be expected. DeJong should be a little better, particularly if he can get more time off.

Meanwhile... Wong and Edman could regress. Probably will.

(Sorry to tweet myself, but I don't see the need to say the same things twice. Follow me if you want. Articles published every Monday and Thursday on Viva El Birdos.)
Congrats!

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

dmarx114 wrote:
Dammit, now I have to remember this.