Answers with Brett Wallace

The place where GRB members interview baseball authorities.
planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Answers with Brett Wallace

Post by planet planet »

I thought today would be a good day to post his interviewDue to some loud pre-game dugout music, some Q and A was unable to be transcribed. We don't yet have the "fun" questions answered from Brett yet; hopefully that's still to come. Big ups to Tambourine Man for transcription. GRB thanks Brett Wallace and Kyle Parkinson of the Memphis Redbirds.

Good luck in today's game, Brett!

GRB: Have you noticed any differences between AA and AAA pitching?

Brett Wallace: I think there's a lot of guys, ya know, a lot of guys coming up through the system. But I think that the difference is that there are so many guys here that have played in the big leagues , so they have those little things that they pickup there. I think they know how to cutup a little bit more with their off-speed pitches. They probably know what they're doing more than the guys who are in AA or the kids on their way up. I think thats the main thing. They just understand how to pitch a little bit more.

GRB: Since you've moved so quickly through the minors, have you had make any adjustments to your game? What have you been working on improving?

Brett Wallace: I think you need to be actively involved with continuing to develop. But I think the biggest thing, to be honest with you, is to keep making adjustments and keep trying. Pitchers are always going to be making adjustments to me while they're on the hill. My goal is to make adjustments to them every at bat and not wait a day or two to make them. When I see something, I'm going to try to make an adjustment immediately.

GRB: Which pitcher do you think was the toughest to face in your professional career so far?

Brett Wallace: Oh, uh, that's a tough question. I don't think I'm just gonna throw one out there. There's certain guys that we actually faced playing in Arkansas, right before I got called up...There's been a lot of guys, but the main thing is I think that to try and put a name on one...that's pretty tough.

GRB: Sure. What about the conversion from metal to wood bats? Was that difficult?

Brett Wallace: I'm a big believer in if you can hit, you can hit. So between the transition, ya know, I felt it was pretty easy. I think it's more just a confidence thing. I think that a lot of people worry about transitioning into wood. But I think that if you can hit and stick to your gameplan, you'll be fine.

GRB: Speaking of which, I guess with the Cardinals organization, there's been a lot of talk on broadcasts lately that you should be able to hit for average over power. And I know that you can hit for both. Do they stress that in the Cards organization?

Brett Wallace: I think the main thing is that they just preach to be yourself. Ya know, if you're a contact guy with power, then you should strive to be that. And if you're more a power guy that needs to improve your contact...Know your strength but also your weaknesses, and work on them still. For me, I've done basically both. I'm just continuing to track it all back. Swing at good pitches. That's the main thing. It's more what they preach. Swing at good pitches, and whether or not you get a hit, just put'em in play and that's all that matters.

GRB: Who is your biggest influence, either personally, or in baseball so far?

Brett Wallace: In baseball? Oh, that's tough. Um, I think there's a lot of guys, to be honest with you. There's a guy on this team right now that's that way, like Greenie [Tyler Greene]and guys like that...Kinda like Greenie. He told me about how to stay focused, be a pro everyday, and think about that.

GRB:Can you talk about your experience in the Cape Cod League on and off the field?

Brett Wallace: Oh, yeah, that was an awesome experience for me, especially after my freshman year. Learning how to play everyday and how to make adjustments. Getting a workout every single day...That helped me a lot on the field. And then off the field, living away from home, and going away for the summer...It kinda gave me a preview about what maybe minor league baseball might be like.

GRB: What do you think will be your biggest challenge? Because obviously you're going to play at the Major League level. The speed of the game? The pitching? The everyday grind? Fielding your position?

Brett Wallace: I think the biggest thing, to be honest with you, is to believe in yourself. I think that too often, if you don't start off really hot, or don't start out really great...People start doubting themselves. You can do that at any level. And I think that at that level, with national television and stuff, that's going to be the main thing. Just believe in yourself, and continue to believe in your approach.

GRB: Okay, there was some debate coming out of the draft about whether or not you'd continue to play 3rd base. What have you worked on to improve your defense at the hot corner since leaving ASU?

Brett Wallace: I think just believing in my hands. Ya know, it's one of those things that they've preached since spring training. Don't worry about it. Don't think about it. Just go out there, and more often than not, just keep your confidence and you'll make the play.

GRB: Well, given how quickly you've advanced through the system, with the Troy Glaus and David Freese situation, have the rumors or hype been distracting you on a day-to-day basis?

Brett Wallace: To be honest with you, I've really just tried to keep my head down, and work hard everyday. I kinda let them worry about that kinda thing. Obviously, it's a dream to play in the big leagues and all, especially this soon. But it's one of those things...I'm just gonna keep working hard and hopefully it happens.

GRB: What lesson or piece of advice were you given as a young ballplayer that's helped you the most?

Brett Wallace: There have been a lot of guys that helped me along, ya know? Like I said, all the guys in our organization have been really cool with helping me out. At a young age, I look to them as older brothers. Now it's all my teammates that pick me up.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Answers with Brett Wallace

Post by Jocephus »

ya know...this is pretty awesome...thanks to everyone involved for makin' this happen!

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

great job!

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Awesome. Thank you!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Thanks Planet! Great job!

KyCardinalFan
Perennial All-Star

Post by KyCardinalFan »

GRB: Since you've moved so quickly through the minors, have you had make any adjustments to your game? What have you been working on improving?

Brett Wallace: I think you need to be actively involved with continuing to develop. But I think the biggest thing, to be honest with you, is to keep making adjustments and keep trying. Pitchers are always going to be making adjustments to me while they're on the hill. My goal is to make adjustments to them every at bat and not wait a day or two to make them. When I see something, I'm going to try to make an adjustment immediately.
Maybe it was the frequent use of "adjustments", but I found this answer to be funny. Like he didn't really want to answer the question and adjustments is just code.

But I really liked his attitude and approach. I just hope he believes his answers and wasn't just given platitudes from a washed-out career minor leaguer. (Wait... he did say "Greenie" was an influence.)

Thanks to all those responsible for setting this up and geting it done. I enjoyed the questions and answers.

Swatcat27
All-Star

Post by Swatcat27 »

Awesome...thanks guys !!

C. Johny
Veteran Player

Post by C. Johny »

Wow, an interview with Brett Wallace, that's pretty impressive. Looks like I picked the right board to join. :D

Great interview! That was interesting.

arnie.k
All-Star

Post by arnie.k »

supercool, planet!

thanks...

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Cool that planet got the interview.

Wallace is awfully wishy-washy. He basically answered every single question by saying "just have to keep working hard and believe in myself, and it's hard to name names".