2007 Draft

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Kevin Ahrens, 3b, Memorial HS, Houston

The best hitter in the state of Texas has shown power and a sweet swing from both sides of the plate, drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones.
I'd really like the Cardinals to get this guy.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
Kevin Ahrens, 3b, Memorial HS, Houston

The best hitter in the state of Texas has shown power and a sweet swing from both sides of the plate, drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones.
I'd really like the Cardinals to get this guy.
He is playing SS right now I believe but will have to make the switch to third in the pros. But he can do it with both his bat and his glove plus he is a switch hitter.

valley_card22
All-Star

Post by valley_card22 »

I've heard talk Sherezer could drop to the Cards. No way right?

The problem with the baseball draft is that it takes Years to evaluate a class.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

valley_card22 wrote:I've heard talk Sherezer could drop to the Cards. No way right?

The problem with the baseball draft is that it takes Years to evaluate a class.
The way he is pitching now I honestly doubt it, he is throwing 94-95 consistantly and touched 98 at times in his last outing. The only way I see him drop to us is if teams dont think they can sign him. Its also not a for sure thing he will be in the draft as he can still sign with the Diamonbacks, I believe they have a week before the draft to get a deal done.

pujols4mvp
Veteran Player

Post by pujols4mvp »

Let's get our hands on Pete Kozma SS Owasso, OK.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

Anyone interested in reading up on some player entering this draft check this out.
The Draft Report decided it was time to go back to campus for another degree this week.

In this week's edition, we hit the colleges. Hard. It's crunch time people and there's no time to waste. Just like scouting directors are scrambling across the country in the last few weeks to see as many players as possible, the Draft Report is going to try to bring as many new names to the forefront between now and June 7 (without the thousands of miles on the road or air).

We hope you've got some time on your hands, because we've got a whopping 25 new reports for you in this Report. We've got pitchers, catchers, outfielders and infielders, all from universities and junior colleges from across the land. A total of 21 institutions of baseball higher learning are represented. So lets not waste any more time and get to those reports:

Andrew Carignan, RHP, University of North Carolina: The Tar Heels closer has one pitch, a pretty good fastball, but he's made it work for him. Complete Report.

Chris Carpenter, RHP, Kent State: Injury issues -- including Tommy John surgery back in July 2005 -- have held Carpenter back, but he's got plus velocity on the fastball and a killer slider to go along with it. Complete Report.

Collin DeLome, OF, Lamar University: DeLome is a speedy outfielder who is improving quickly in his new position, center field. Complete Report.

Alan Farina, RHP, Clemson: He pitches middle relief for the Tigers, but there are those who think he has the stuff to start. Complete Report.

Cory Gearrin, RHP, Mercer University: The side-arming closer shut down Miami to open the season and has stayed on the map since. Complete Report.

Brandon Hicks, SS, Texas A&M: Another good defensive college shortstop, Hicks also runs well. The only question is how much he'll hit at the next level. Complete Report.

Tommy Hunter, RHP, University of Alabama: The strong draft-eligible sophomore has a good fastball and two other offerings that have projection. Complete Report.

Will Kline, RHP, University of Mississippi: Kline is inconsistent with his three-pitch mix, but he does put them all together at times, creating a very interesting arm. Complete Report.

David Kopp, RHP, Clemson: While Daniel Moskos gets most of the buzz on campus, Kopp and his three-pitch mix will not be overlooked. Complete Report.

Kellen Kulbacki, OF, James Madison: In a year with a dearth of college bats, Kulbacki's hitting and raw power will certainly be intriguing. Complete Report.

Jon Lucroy, C, University of Louisiana - Lafayette: College backstops are always in high demand, and Lucroy's all-around package probably won't last too long. Complete Report.

Dan Merklinger, LHP, Seton Hall: Merklinger has not pitched as well as hoped in his junior season after a strong Cape showing, but he's still a college lefty. Complete Report.

Sean Morgan, RHP, Tulane: A funky delivery messes up his command, but he does have above-average stuff and could be a good fastball-slider reliever if need be. Complete Report.

Eric Niesen, LHP, Wake Forest: Niesen has improved with a move to the bullpen. His main strength is his above-average fastball velocity from the left side. Complete Report.

Danny Payne, OF, Georgia Tech: Payne is a hard-nosed "baseball player" who knows how to get on base and plays above his tools. Complete Report.

Luke Putkonen, RHP, University of North Carolina: If you like arm strength, Putkonen might be your guy. He can get it up there in a hurry and command it, but his secondary offerings lag behind. Complete Report.

Evan Reed, RHP, Cal Poly: The Cal Poly closer can crank up the fastball into the mid-90s and has a decent slider to go along with it. Complete Report.

Brian Rike, OF, Louisiana Tech: A walk-on, Rike has worked his way into draft conversations with some serious pop at the plate. Complete Report.

Kyle Russell, OF, University of Texas: The draft-eligible sophomore has obliterated the Longhorns' single-season home run record. Complete Report.

Brad Suttle, 3B, University of Texas: The eligible sophomore can swing the bat a little but the rest of the skill set is behind his ability to hit for average. Complete Report.

Matt Thompson, RHP, Santa Rosa JC: Armed with a good fastball, the rest of Thompson is a projection. But it's a good one because of his natural athletic ability. Complete Report.

Jess Todd, RHP, University of Arkansas: With a strong, controlled fastball and an average slider, Todd may make for a good setup man someday. Complete Report.

Tony Watson, LHP, University of Nebraska: Watson is a pitchability lefty with a good changeup who has gotten a lot of work in college. Complete Report.

Duke Welker, RHP, University of Arkansas: The tall righty pitches behind projected first-round pick Nick Schimdt and maybe even Jess Todd, but he's done OK with his fastball and slider combination. Complete Report.

Jordan Zimmermann, RHP, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point: While his secondary pitches need work and are mere projections as average offerings now, his fastball is a plus and will certainly draw scouts. Complete Report.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... &fext=.jsp

If you click on the link and then on complete report you get a brief scouting report.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

pujols4mvp wrote:Let's get our hands on Pete Kozma SS Owasso, OK.
I dont know much on this kid, but I do know that he will probably be a 2nd round pick. If the Cardinals would go SS in the 2nd round they would probably go college and pick up Zack Cozart from Mississippi.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

Jim Callis chat on the draft

Q: Mike from Orlando asks:
Michael Main - more upside as a hitter or pitcher? Where do you project him to go?

A: Jim Callis: Hi, everyone. Sorry I'm a couple of minutes late . . . draft phone calls . . . it's that time of year. Draft is on my mind, so I'll probably focus heavily on draft questions today and I doubt anyone will complain. As for Main, for all his velocity on the mound, I hear better things about him as a five-tool outfielder. I think he goes in the back half of the first round or in the upper half of the sandwich round. Once you get past your first 15 or so guys, there's not a lot of consensus this year.

Q: Will Smeltzer from Tucson,Az asks:
Who do you think the Baltimore orioles will draft with their 1st round pick?

A: Jim Callis: They pick fifth, and I think the best guy on the board is going to be a lefthander, someone liks Missouri State's Ross Detwiler, Clemson's Daniel Moskos or maybe North Carolina high schooler Madison Bumgarner. If Peter Angelos lets his club go over slot, maybe someone like California slugger Mike Moustakas. One word of caution on the who-will-pick-whom questions today . . . it's still highly speculative.

Q: Mike from Orlando asks:
Theres been a lot of talk about big market teams being able to go over slot to sign guys. On average, what is the difference in draft budgets between a big market team (say, the Yankees) and a small market team (say, the Royals)?

A: Jim Callis: The Royals aren't going to get off cheap, because they're going to pay full value for the No. 2 overall pick. But in general, the average club spends about $5 million. The average last year was $4.8 million (not counting draft-and-follow signings from this spring). The bottom five clubs averaged $2.5 million, the top five $6.9 million. Interestingly, your smaller-revenue clubs often spend a lot because they have high picks, and your larger-revenue clubs spend less because they forfeit picks as free-agent compensation. The Yankees ($6.6 million) and Royals ($6.5 million) spent almost the exact same amount last year. The large-market Mets spent just $2.3 million, by contrast.

Q: Tom from Cleveland asks:
Hey Jim, thanks for these awesome chats, what are you hearing concerning the Indians pick at #13, any indication on which direction they maybe going in? Thanks

A: Jim Callis: Not hearing particular names that far down yet. I think there's a good chance that the best guys on the board will be high schoolers, maybe one of the better pitchers (North Carolina prep LHP Madison Bumgarner, Texas prep RHP Blake Beavan, Indiana RHP Jarrod Parker, Canadian prep RHP Phillip Aumont) or California prep 3B Matt Dominguez.

Q: John from Indy asks:
Forget about bonus demands. Forget about organizational philosophy. Forget about positional need. Who do you take #2 in the draft? In other words, who is the second best prospect in this draft?

A: Jim Callis: For me, California HS 3B Josh Vitters, just ahead of New Jersey HS RHP Rick Porcello. Vanderbilt LHP David Price is No. 1 overall.

Q: Mike from Ft Worth, TX asks:
Is Kyle Russell worth taking at pick 17 or 24 by the Rangers?

A: Jim Callis: That might be a little steep for Russell. He's obliterating the Longhorns HR record this year, having a tremendous year. But while he has some teams that like him, others think he has a grooved swing and some holes in his stroke. I think he goes in the 25-30 range or the top half of the sandwich round.

Q: Barry from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada asks:
Smoltz-Glavine-Maddux; Zito-Hudson-Mulder. Any future Big Three on the horizon for 2009-2010? Perhaps PriceKazmirMcGee or Niemann?

A: Jim Callis: I've made no secret that I'm bullish on the Rays in 2010 and beyond. That's my pick for a big three--take any three of those four.

Q: Craig James from KC asks:
What is the hype with Scherzer? Seems like this guys been hurt every single year in college and from what i read on last years reports he struggled throwing a breaking pitch. Hes now a year older and hasnt even thrown a pitch this year BA would put him as the #2 prospect in the draft(if he reentered_ according to a recent chat?? Please explain this and please tell me my royals arent interested.

A: Jim Callis: He wasn't hurt every year at Missouri. He had biceps tendinitis last year and didn't throw as well as he had as a sophomore. I didn't say we'd put him No. 2, I said a scouting director said he could be No. 2 if he threw like he did as a sophomore. It's not a good year for college righthanders, and he'd be arguably the best. If he throws well (his first outing is tonight), he would be a guy the Royals would look at.

Q: paul from riverside,ca asks:
Why is James simmons ranked lower than arrieta on your list? Seems like arrieta hasnt put together a good start this year where simmons has been lights out against much better competition for most of the year. Which college RHP goes after brackman in the draft?

A: Jim Callis: Sorry, scuffling with phone calls here. A question from Simmons country. It's just a matter of taste. Arrieta has a cut better stuff, though he's been inconsistent throughout the spring. Simmons has very good command of very average stuff. Arrieta has more ceiling, Simmons less risk. They could go in either order.

Q: Joe from St. Louis asks:
Cameron Maybin or Justin Upton?

A: Jim Callis: Gut still says Maybin, but it's oh so close.

Q: Fonz41 from Milwaukee asks:
Jim, I've been looking forward to a draft chat for a long time now, thanks for taking my question. Everyone knows about Wieters, but where do JP Arencibia (Tenn), M. Canham (Oregon St.), J. Donaldson (Auburn), S. Coughlin (Kentucky) and E. Easley (Miss. St.) project to go? Do any of them have greater than usual concerns about having to move off of catcher?

A: Jim Callis: They all should be able to stay at catcher. Donaldson might be the lightest defensive catcher of the group, but I think he'll be at least adequate there. Canham has the best bet of that group to go in the first round. Catchers usually get overdrafted a little, plus it's a weak year for college position players, so those guys will get pushed up a little more. They all should go in the first five rounds, and there are other college catchers like Jonathan LuCroy (Louisiana-Lafayette) and Preston Clark (Texas) who will go well also.

Q: Bob from Inside a Jersey Truck asks:
Travis Snider or Jay Bruce, whose guys got more upside?

A: Jim Callis: Love both guys, I'd say Bruce. Both impact-type bats, but Bruce may play CF and at worst will be a good RF and runs a lot better than Snider, who's a LF.

Q: Andrew Kronzer from raleigh,nc asks:
If Horton doesnt project as a SS in pro ball, is he still the first college SS taken? Seems like he would have to hit for a lot more power than he does to play another position. who would be your top 3 college MIF?

A: Jim Callis: Not a good year for college middle infielders. Horton has a chance to play SS, but by major league standards, he's more of a 2B. My top three college middle infielders would be Mississippi's Zach Cozart, North Carolina's Horton and Pepperdine's Danny Worth. I've been bearing down on Midwest draft coverage, and I really like Texas A&M's Brandon Hicks.

Q: Jon from Cleveland asks:
Any chance any one of Harvey, Parker or Aumont fall to Cleveland at number 13? Thanks

A: Jim Callis: I think so. You could throw another top HS pitcher, Texas' Blake Beavan in there as well. There are six HS arms who are top-15 talents, but I can't remember the last draft where six HS arms went that high. At least one or two will fall to Cleveland. Harvey also is represented by Scott Boras, so signability could cause him to slide.

Q: Ryan from Dallas asks:
What do you think of Cameron Rupp at Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, TX? He has committed to be a Longhorn, but whare his prospects in the June draft?

A: Jim Callis: Rupp has very good power to all fields and a lot of arm strength. He won the AFLAC home run derby last year. He's still pretty raw as a catcher, though, and probably would be a higher pick after three years at Texas. Not sure on his signability, but he may not go high enough to keep him away from the Longhorns.

Q: John from Georgia asks:
How good could Josh Smoker and Jason Heyward be if they reach their ceilings?

A: Jim Callis: Very good. Both are talented Georgia HS players that have to be targets for the Braves. Heyward is an athletic RF with power, while Smoker is a LHP with solid stuff who has been consistent all spring.

Q: Dan from Chandler AZ asks:
Will the Diamondbacks sign Scherzer? If so, how does that affect their choice at 9.

A: Jim Callis: Great question, no idea yet. If he pitches well at Fort Worth, his price tag goes up, and does Arizona want to pay him, say, a $5 million big league contract after dropping more than $13 million (counting incentive bonuses) on Stephen Drew and Justin Upton? If the Diamondbacks do sign Scherzer, I would guess they'd take a straight-slot guy at No. 9 this year rather than break the bank a fourth time.

Q: Dan from St. Louis asks:
What has a lack of appearances as the closer done to Wichita State's Damon Sublett's draft position? Who else from WSU is likely to go in the top five rounds?

A: Jim Callis: Remains to be seen. Scouts like Sublett more as a pitcher, and he just hasn't pitched much. Righthander Travis Banwart will be the first Shocker drafted, probably in the second or third round. Outfielder Matt Brown also could go in the first five rounds.

Q: John from Austin asks:
What are teams saying about the signability of Kyle Russell? Similar to Micah Owings a few years back or Tim Lincecum two years ago?

A: Jim Callis: Russell does have extra leverage as a draft-eligible sophomore, and neither Owings nor Lincecum signed in the same situation. In Russell's case, can he really come back and have a better year next year? He's been unbelievable in 2007. But I'm also hearing rumblings that signing Russell could be difficult.

Q: Jamie from Olney, MD asks:
Jim -- Great work, as always. Do you think Matt LaPorta's and Beau Mills' power will translate well to the pros? Any comps for these guys? Also, does Casey Weathers look like a guy who could be on the fast track, a la Chad Cordero? Does he have legit closer material? Thanks!

A: Jim Callis: LaPorta and Mills have legit power. I'm not a great comp guy, and my brain is fried, so I'm whiffing on that part of your question. Weathers is a fast-track closer type, and his stuff is considerably better than Cordero's, for instance.

Q: Matt from Dekalb, IL asks:
Is Vitters a high school prospect who would move quickly through the minors? I am almost to the point where I would prefer him to Matt Wieters.

A: Jim Callis: Yes. The best high school hitters usually move quickly. I'd take him over Wieters right now, too. Wouldn't complain about getting stuck with Wieters, either.

Q: Kory from South Dakota asks:
Will any player from south daktoa state get drafted this year? Nick Adams, Jake Rogers, and Tyson Fisher have all had good years this year. What other players in south dakota have a chance of getting drafted this year?

A: Jim Callis: Answering this question just to show off the depth of our draft knowledge! All three of those guys have a chance to get picked. Rogers is a senior, and I think he'll get a senior sign. Scouts could wait another year for Adams, who has some athleticism, and Fisher, who has some pop. Best HS kid in South Dakota is Roosevelt (Sioux Falls) infielder Jared Donahue.

Q: Truffle from State College, PA asks:
Does Tim Wilken have a specific draft philosophy? I note that he's been very successful with first round picks with the Blue Jays.

A: Jim Callis: Yes he was. Wilken takes the best player available, loves projectable athletes. His track record is as good as anyone's.

Q: Phil from GA asks:
Do you see David Price moving through the minors as quickly as Lincecum did?

A: Jim Callis: Actually, no. Lincecum's stuff was more dominating. Price would be a mid- to late 2008 guy at the earliest, unless a September callup is in his contract.

Q: Phil from GA asks:
Who looks to be the best position player in the college ranks eligible for the 2008 draft? Alvarez, Smoak, Russell, Dykstra,...someone else?

A: Jim Callis: Pedro Alvarez, easy, for me. It's funny, Price is going to go No. 1 in this draft and he's not the best prospect on his team.

Q: dude from sunspot asks:
Any early feeling on how the draft changes (similar compensation for unsigned early picks and 15 AUG signing deadline) will impact early selections? Will teams focus any less on signability?

A: Jim Callis: I don't think very much. The deadline will have no effect, really. Just allows everyone to have a resolution by Aug. 15. As for the better compensation, I still think teams feel they have to sign their first-round picks and will treat it that way. They're either willing, or not, to go over slot. If they're not willing, I can't see a club like that taking a high-pricetag guy and trying to play hardball with him . . . That's it for today. Thanks for the good questions, as always.

jdk82
All-Star

Post by jdk82 »

Here is a few top ten list and what round they are projected to go.

Corner Infielders
Rank Player, School Projection
1. Josh Vitters, 3b, Cypress (Calif.) HS First
2. Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida First
3. Beau Mills, 3b/1b, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) First
4. Matt Dominguez, 3b, Chatsworth (Calif.) HS First
5. Mike Moustakas, 3b/c, Chatsworth (Calif.) HS First
6. Matt Mangini, 3b, Oklahoma State First
7. Todd Frazier, 3b, Rutgers First
8. Kevin Ahrens, 3b, Memorial HS, Houston First/Supp.
9. Bradley Suttle, 3b, Texas Second
10. Matt West, 3b, Bellaire (Texas) HS Second

Middle Infielders
Rank Player, School Projection
1. Nick Noonan, 2b, Parker HS, San Diego Supp./Second
2. Ryan Dent, 2b, Wilson HS, Long Beach Supp./Second
3. Zach Cozart, ss, Mississippi Second
4. Justin Jackson, ss, Roberson HS, Asheville, N.C. Second
5. Peter Kozma, ss, Owasso (Okla.) HS Second
6. Drew Cumberland, ss, Pace HS, Milton, Fla. Second
7. Josh Horton, ss, North Carolina Second/Third
8. Danny Worth, ss, Pepperdine Second/Third
9. Tony Thomas, 2b, Florida State Second/Third
10. Christian Colon, 2b, Canyon HS, Anaheim

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com projects his first 10 picks here.

The rest of the first-round will be unveiled later (and updated):

1. Devil Rays- LHP David Price, Vanderbilt
2. Royals- RHP Mark Porcello, N.J. HS
3. Cubs- 3B Josh Vitters, CA HS
4. Pirates- LHP Daniel Moskos, Clemson
5. Orioles- LHP Ross Detwiler, MO State
6. Nationals- Phillippe Aumont, Quebec
7. Brewers- RHP Jarrod Parker, IN HS
8. Rockies- 3B Matt Dominguez, CA HS
9. Diamondbacks- 3B/SS Mike Moustakas, CA HS
10. Giants- RHP Andrew Brackman, NC State

I respect Mayo, but I find it amazing that Matt Wieters, the catcher from Georgia Tech, isn't even in his top ten. He's been talked about as a top three pick for much of the year.