Kolten Wong

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Kolten Wong

Post by 33anda3rd »

Jason Parks recapped the Futures Game. On Wong:
Kolten Wong, 2B, St. Louis Cardinals
Baseball player. Period. He barrels. He gloves. He makes plays on both sides of the ball and it all facets of the game. Very short stroke to the ball, but quick and powerful, allowing him to not only center the bat on the ball but drive it with authority. He’s not a slappy wrist hitter, as his hip rotation brings plus bat speed into the equation, and he doesn’t sell out and lose the bat control, which should help make him a high average, doubles hitter at the highest level. Always a joy to watch.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

33anda3rd wrote:Jason Parks recapped the Futures Game. On Wong:
Kolten Wong, 2B, St. Louis Cardinals
Baseball player. Period. He barrels. He gloves. He makes plays on both sides of the ball and it all facets of the game. Very short stroke to the ball, but quick and powerful, allowing him to not only center the bat on the ball but drive it with authority. He’s not a slappy wrist hitter, as his hip rotation brings plus bat speed into the equation, and he doesn’t sell out and lose the bat control, which should help make him a high average, doubles hitter at the highest level. Always a joy to watch.
This is exactly what I saw. Every time I've watched him, it's always the same. Line drive up the middle. Hit well, but not crazy hard. He's like that guy on your softball team that is content just placing a line drive over the pitcher, up the middle, short of the center fielder, time and again. And, he makes it look that easy.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Would you go as far to say mid-to-late career Tony Gwynn-esque?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

TBH, I don't know enough or saw enough of TG to compare anyone to him. I think I've been pretty consistent in my argument for Wong. I didn't understand why his BA wasn't higher in AA. He made it look like he was hitting a beachball.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Thanks... for making me feel old.

:(

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Our very own Placido Polanco?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

go birds wrote:Our very own second Placido Polanco?
FTFY

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I think we have a good one here. Everything I hear about him is good ... everyone seems to be very excited about our Wong.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

jim wrote:I think we have a good one here. Everything I hear about him is good ... everyone seems to be very excited about our Wong.
Definitely...might not be the best Wong out there, but he seems to get the job done. Should more than adequately fill the gap we have at second base, and I hear he has a lot of pop in his bat.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
jim wrote:I think we have a good one here. Everything I hear about him is good ... everyone seems to be very excited about our Wong.
Definitely...might not be the best Wong out there, but he seems to get the job done. Should more than adequately fill the gap we have at second base, and I hear he has a lot of pop in his bat.
Well his ability to spray balls all over the place is sure to make people take notice.