2011 Cardinals Draft Wrap (YouTube links fixed)

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2011 Cardinals Draft Wrap (YouTube links fixed)

Post by JoeMcKim »

I know that kids dad is a Cubs fan but as far as having a successful career with a good organization that is able to put up a good chance of competing for postseason every year I don't know if going to the Cubs is your best possible team to get drafted by. But then again he's a Cubs fan so logical and reasonable thinking might not be his strong suit.

UofIx3
AA Minor League Player

Post by UofIx3 »

Tilson update from the News Gazette in Champaign-Urbana at http://www.illinihq.com/news/recruiting ... ing_game/.

Interesting quotes:
For Charlie Tilson, the ball is in the St. Louis Cardinals’ court.

Drafted in the second round of the MLB amateur draft June 7, the Illinois recruit hours later gave the Cardinals a monetary figure for which he would be willing to sign.

Tilson still is waiting for a response.

“We have been in contact a little bit with the scouting director, but we haven’t gotten into conversations on money,” the center fielder said this week.

The hang-up, apparently, is a demand by the 2011 Gatorade Illinois Baseball Player of the Year for a signing bonus considerably larger than what the commissioner’s office has recommended for Tilson’s slot in the draft.

The Winnetka New Trier graduate was drafted 79th overall. The News-Gazette has learned the recommended slot figure for that pick is between $457,000 and $458,000.

Tilson declined to reveal how much he’s seeking.

“We put a lot of thought into it, and I think we’re pretty confident in it,” the 5-foot-11, 175-pounder said of his financial demand. “I gave (Cardinals area scout Kris Gross) a figure, and I told him it was firm. And that’s as far as our conversations have gone.”

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

I don't know. The video posted shows him hitting almost half of the BP fastballs he's thrown directly into the dirt.

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

cpebbles wrote:I don't know. The video posted shows him hitting almost half of the BP fastballs he's thrown directly into the dirt.
It was a less than impressive effort from him.

Tilson isn't lying in that interview, his demands are high and unwavering.

UofIx3
AA Minor League Player

Post by UofIx3 »

Another update on Tilson:

One way or the other, Charlie Tilson will know his baseball destination within the next week.

The Illinois recruit, who was drafted in the second round by the St. Louis Cardinals in June, remains in so-far fruitless negotiations with the National League team as the Aug. 15 signing deadline bears down on both sides.

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illini-s ... llini.html

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Cardinals signed 5th round pick Sam Gaviglio for 175K today.

Serpent
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Serpent »

I understand that these kids are still very very young and they were drafted with tools in mind. I also have no clue what the average OPS is in these leagues. So this could all mean nothing.

Charlie Tilson

Jeffries

Peoples-Walls

Wong

Oscar, for comparison.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Oscar is better...

Few things, I read it again and thought I did ok.

Glad I didn't say anything bad about Maness, but I didn't rave about him either. To this point I was fairly right on the players, except for Medrano who simply hasn't had the strength to do much professionally.