GatewayRedbirds.com

A Message Board Dedicated to Discussing St. Louis Cardinals Baseball!
It is currently January 27 20, 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Updated Top 10 Prospects
PostPosted: September 10 11, 2:48 pm 
Veteran Player

With the minor league regular season having come to a close, I'm curious to see how others would rank the top 10 prospects. Here's mine:

1. Shelby Miller
2. Carlos Martinez
3. Oscar Taveras
4. Tyrell Jenkins
5. Matt Adams
6. Zach Cox
7. Eduardo Sanchez (assume he's a rookie but not for certain)
8. Jordan Swagerty
9. Kolten Wong
10.Charles Tilson

PostPosted: September 10 11, 2:52 pm 
Mother Earth

There is a pretty good/entertaining post on VEB on this.

PostPosted: September 10 11, 7:53 pm 
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

I'm going to do an updated list like last year pretty soon if anyone's interested. I might do it as a system review, and then list the guys from my top-20 throughout it and then give a summary with the list at the end.

I just passed a big law test yesterday that has been taking all my time.

PostPosted: September 11 11, 12:20 am 
Child Pot Activist

You're damn right we're interested, phins.

PostPosted: September 11 11, 6:18 am 
All-Star

Maclowery wrote:

QFT

PostPosted: September 11 11, 6:37 am 
Veteran Player

I always look forward to your prospect analysis phins. Glad to hear some more may be in the works soon.

PostPosted: September 11 11, 2:24 pm 
Perennial All-Star

Maclowery wrote:

+

PostPosted: September 12 11, 9:56 am 
Hall Of Famer

phins wrote:
I'm going to do an updated list like last year pretty soon if anyone's interested. I might do it as a system review, and then list the guys from my top-20 throughout it and then give a summary with the list at the end.

I just passed a big law test yesterday that has been taking all my time.

I really am on the edge of my fuggin' seat. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: September 12 11, 12:59 pm 
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Thoughts on this, though I'm not at all prepared to present a top 10 of my own... This isn't a rankings list, just some discussion about guys that I think are intriguing heading into the offseason. I didn't include Miller and Martinez because there is no intrigue there. They're clearly 1 and 1a in any ranking system.

1. Zack Cox -- Will the national guys give him any credit for essentially entering the minors as a AA player? Will they hold his one bad month against him? Or, will they do what most people around here have done -- decide that his skillset makes him fine not great prospect and rank him accordingly? I think the latter. He would probably land somewhere right around 5 on my list, probably 5-7. And I still really like him. That's how strong our top 5 seems to be.

2. Matt Adams -- Has anyone looked at his second half splits? They make him look remarkably human. It seems like just a month or so ago I was arguing about how anyone could leave him off a top 100 list. And then I looked at his final splits... which are dragged down by a few weeks of down performance, in particular in Sept. So, are we going to/ hold a few bad ab's against a guy who skipped a level and at times looked dominant (I'm pointing at you Zack Cox haters)? I'm not sure yet. Anyway, I don't think he's a top 5 player for me. Right on the edge with Cox.

3. Oscar Taveras vs. Tyrell Jenkins -- I think there might be a debate here. Oscar was amazing in limited ab's as a 19 year old in the MWL. Jenkins was equally amazing in rookie ball as a raw 19 year old. Taveras' more advanced level and performance probably gives him the nod, but who has the bigger upside? What is Taveras' upside anyway? The kid had a .440 babip. Unstustainable. BUT, he hit 27 doubles and 5 triples in 78 games. Who is this kid? What's a comp? I have no idea. Meanwhile, Jenkins has shown that he might not be a guy who will move slow and have #2 potential. He might move quicker than anyone thought and show ace potential. I'm not really sure who has the bigger upside at this point. I would probably go with Taveras because of level vs. age.

4. Lance Lynn and Eduardo Sanchez -- in a top 10 packed with mid to upper end guys, where do you fit two previous top 10 arms who flashed dominance over a short period of time in the major leagues? What a dilemma. What a good problem to have. If they were starters and catching attention as starters this might be a different conversation. But, relievers, no matter how good, are second class citizens. I think I would fit both guys in at the bottom of the top 10, behind everyone's favorite innuendo (Wong) but ahead of any other recent draftees.

5. What about the "other" guys? -- Matt Carpenter has to feel like the junior prom king who suddenly can't get a date to his senior prom. A top 10 guy last year, is he even on the radar now? After hitting nearly 900 in AAA? Jordan Swagerty reached AA... as a reliever. And our "Attack of the Clones" recent draft picks? Athletic, lean, young, uninspiring... Tilson and McElroy. Are we going to jump them ahead of someone like Rosenthal or Cleto just because they're the flavor of the month? And speaking of Cleto, what do you do with a guy who progressed from A ball to AAA largely because -- like with David Freese -- the brass wants to show immediate returns on a controversial trade? That's overstating the case, but Cleto advanced because he's seen as a reliever. A strike against him in the rankings.

I think the guys we might be picking from would look something like this:
Top notch -- Miller and Martinez
Dream and drool -- Jenkins and Taveras
Mature but "Meh" -- Cox , Adams, and Wong
5th year seniors -- Lynn and Sanchez
"Other guys" -- Rosenthal, Swagerty, Cleto, Carpenter, Tilson, McElroy.

Who am I missing that needs to be in consideration? I didn't do a broad search, so I'm certain I'm missing some top 10 potential guys.

PostPosted: September 12 11, 4:32 pm 
Perennial All-Star

3 names I can think of that are missing:
Joe Kelly
Ryan Jackson
Pete Kozma