Updated Top 10 Prospects

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
Cronos
In perpetuum

Re: Updated Top 10 Prospects

Post by Cronos »

Boone Whiting should be here somewhere, if not on a top 10 then maybe a top 20. He had a heck of a year at QC, and well within the age-range expected (21).

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Cronos wrote:Boone Whiting should be here somewhere, if not on a top 10 then maybe a top 20. He had a heck of a year at QC, and well within the age-range expected (21).
He's an interesting player for sure. I'm going to do some research on his stuff, watch some film, and he'll be in there somewhere I'm sure.

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

What about a dream comp of Vlad Guerrerro for Oscar Tavares?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Let me make it clear: I love Oscar Taveras. Now, that's easy to do when a guy hits .386/.444/.584, but unlike Carl, those numbers are no mirage. His swing has the rare combination of violence and control, and while the box score says 1-for-4 with an RBI single, he was much better than that. Minor league teams send a report up the chain after each game with details on who did what and how, and often they don't even use hits as a statistic, favoring instead hard hit balls. While that's a judgment call to be sure, Taveras was 3-for-4 in that regard on Saturday, hitting one on the screws (but right at the left-fielder) in his first at-bat and then missing a home run to right by about 15-20 feet in the sixth. This left me wondering about new metrics, specifically those generated by the still-in-progress HITf/x system. If we can quantify the definition of hard hit balls, I'm convinced that statistics generated around them would be far more predictive that anything BABIP tells us.
I was excited to see that right-hander Trevor Rosenthal was pitching the game as I saw him early in the year and walked away impressed. The biggest surprise was to see the lineups before the game with a 4.11 ERA next to his name. He ran out of gas late in the year but still finished with peripherals much stronger than that ERA indicates, including 133 strikeouts against just 39 walks in 120 1/3 innings. Much like last year, when I saw Shelby Miller's best start of the year in the playoffs, I saw Rosenthal's as well as he fired his first nine-inning complete game of his career—a complete game four-hitter in which he faced just three over the minimum.

A 21st-round pick in 2009 who entered the year barely on anyone's radar, he's now among the best pitchers in the system. On Saturday, he pounded the strike zone with a 91-96 mph fastball that has a bit of wiggle too it, generated 14 ground ball outs, and was in control of every at-bat by consistently getting ahead in the count. With a smooth delivery, above-average velocity and command, as well as a breaking ball and changeup that both show flashes, there's a No. 3 ceiling here in a guy that few people are talking about.
- Kevin Goldstein

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Double.
Last edited by Magneto2.0 on September 13 11, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Does anyone know if Kevin Goldstein has a take on Taveras or Rosenthal?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JackofDiamonds wrote:Does anyone know if Kevin Goldstein has a take on Taveras or Rosenthal?
He writes for BP, so if there was anything, I bet we'd have to pay for it.

JackofDiamonds

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Swirls wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:Does anyone know if Kevin Goldstein has a take on Taveras or Rosenthal?
I was being fatuous.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
Swirls wrote:
I was being fatuous.
Hence a fatuous answer.

JackofDiamonds

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Swirls wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:
Swirls wrote:
I was being fatuous.
Hence a fatuous answer.

Oof. Which I clearly see now.