Best C prospect for the Cards

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: Best C prospect for the Cards

Post by phins »

cards2468 wrote:
Fat Strat wrote:Anyone else notice this? The Cards have been drafting pretty light on two positions: 1b and C. At the time, they had Molina and Pujols at the major league level firmly entrenched in those positions.

Anyone else see some coincidence there? OR is it simply smarter to draft OF'ers and 3b'man who can be moved to 1b if necessary and catchers are just really hard to find?
Looking at 1B in the bigs, it seems that not many were drafted as 1b (Pujols 3B, Miggy SS, Teixeira 3b, Votto C, Morneau C). MLBers tend to be pretty athletic, so as amateurs they likely were more athletic than most of the others around them and thus weren't wasted at 1b. As for C, that could be one of the hardest positions to develop. Pretty often C's develop slowly because of how much work it takes early on to fix their mechanics in blocking balls and throwing down to 2b. The last C the Cardinals drafted and developed and reached the bigs before Yadi I think would be Eli Marrero. At C, teams are willing to sacrifice bat for a good glove, and really a solid defensive C with no bat isn't terribly hard to find. I wouldn't think the Cards would hold off drafting catchers just because of Yadi since catchers typically have a shorter shelf life than other positions, so my guess is they rarely come across amateur catchers that they feel would be a good value to pick.
++

Among position players, SS's and C's are the most sought after. The tools that are required to play those positions translate to other positions often times.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I'm curious what people think of Charlie Cutler and Cody Stanley.

Did Cutler get hurt last year? He only played 49 games.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

pioneer98 wrote:I'm curious what people think of Charlie Cutler and Cody Stanley.

Haven't seen Cutler. Stanley is a defense first guy. Great arm, excellent hands, and good feel. Haven't seen a ton of him blocking balls in the dirt, but solid technique when I saw him.

Stanley just isn't much with the bat yet. He's probably going to be an 8th place hitter type in the end. I might think about moving him ahead of Ehrlich in the pecking order in the end because he's so much closer than Ehrlich is. I like dreaming on upside players, but there is value in a guy developing methodically and fitting into your club's organizational philosophy on the position (Stanley is a similar type to Matheny).

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

phins wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:I'm curious what people think of Charlie Cutler and Cody Stanley.

Haven't seen Cutler. Stanley is a defense first guy. Great arm, excellent hands, and good feel. Haven't seen a ton of him blocking balls in the dirt, but solid technique when I saw him.

Stanley just isn't much with the bat yet. He's probably going to be an 8th place hitter type in the end. I might think about moving him ahead of Ehrlich in the pecking order in the end because he's so much closer than Ehrlich is. I like dreaming on upside players, but there is value in a guy developing methodically and fitting into your club's organizational philosophy on the position (Stanley is a similar type to Matheny).
Plus Stanley excelled in the Cap Cod League.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

phins wrote:

Thanks. I saw a lot of Stanley at QC this year, and agree that he could be good defensively. He still lacked some consistency, and he did hit a little, but of course this is at low-A.

Cutler was here a couple years ago. From what I recall he did not have the defensive potential of Stanley, but is a better hitter. But, he is already 25 it appears, and may be out of the organization. The Pirates picked him up?

http://seedlingstostars.com/2012/02/09/ ... -5-pickup/