Stock Switching to Pitching

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Stock Switching to Pitching

Post by pioneer98 »

phins wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:
I didn't stick around but I see Stock didn't do too well again tonight.
Robert Stock is not, and never was, a pitching prospect.
Moved this reply to the correct thread.

This makes it sound like the Cardinals always wanted him as a pitcher, and only let him try catching to humor him so they could sign him:
http://www.futureredbirds.net/2012/03/0 ... k-pitcher/

Is that just propaganda to try to cover up a flop #2 draft pick?

They claim he could throw 95MPH back in college. His velocity is nowhere near that right now, but he's also just getting back into pitching.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

That actually is my recollection of what the stories said at the time of the draft. Teams saw him as a pitcher, he saw himself as a catcher, and the Cardinals were willing to defer to him with the idea that they could always change gears later.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Stock isn't off to that good of a start as a pitcher. He's pitched in 6 games for 8.2 innings with a 7.27 ERA.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

JoeMcKim wrote:Stock isn't off to that good of a start as a pitcher. He's pitched in 6 games for 8.2 innings with a 7.27 ERA.
That's because he's not a pitching prospect (in my view).

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

phins wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Stock isn't off to that good of a start as a pitcher. He's pitched in 6 games for 8.2 innings with a 7.27 ERA.
Would you have said the same thing about Motte early? I'm just trying to get a bead on him. Seems like he has the potential to throw pretty hard... definitely on the reliever track. That doesn't make him a prospect by any definition of a prospect, but he's still interesting to me. There have been several players who have made the switch from catcher to RP in the last few years and I doubt any of them were viewed as prospects in their first seasons as pitchers either.

From what I can tell he only made QC because they were being nice to him after they switched him. I would expect sketchy results for awhile, but maybe settling in better for the 2nd half of the season. If he does that, we might have something. If he doesn't then we should probably just forget about him (as fans) and hope he surprises us later.

Edit: In his last 5 outings, he hasn't been that bad. 7 ip's. 2 er's. 5 bb's. 7 k's. The K's are encouraging. Who knows about the walks. He's been a pitcher for a month. Control is going to be awful for awhile. I'm going to keep my eye on him out of sheer interest.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Fat Strat wrote:
phins wrote:
Would you have said the same thing about Motte early?
No. Motte had/has plus stuff and really good command/control of his fastball. Stock is a guy...I'm rooting like heck I'm wrong on him, which is entirely possible, but I've seen him pitch while at USC, and never thought he was a ML pitcher.