2012 Minor League discussion

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: 2012 Minor League discussion

Post by pioneer98 »

Shelby struck out 9 over 5 innings last night.

For QC, Nick Martini went 2 for 4 with a walk-off walk in the bottom of the 10th inning, and Tyler Rahmatulla hit his first HR.

http://www.futureredbirds.net/2012/04/1 ... ort-41812/

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Figured I'd post this as well. Rw seems a bit optimistic. If we're still getting great pitching from our current staff then I see no need to bring him up.
Shelby Miller allowed just one run and struck out nine over five innings Wednesday at Triple-A Memphis.
The right-handed prospect had a rough first couple outings at the Triple-A level but seems to have made the necessary adjustments. Miller now has 19 strikeouts in 13 innings thus far for Memphis and should be added to the St. Louis rotation at some point this summer.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

If Wainwright continues to struggle and Carp isn't ready, is Shelby the next guy in line to step into the rotation?

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

cards2468 wrote:If Wainwright continues to struggle and Carp isn't ready, is Shelby the next guy in line to step into the rotation?
Maybe not this early in the season, but at some point definitely. I'm not sure how much time they feel that Miller needs to prove himself at AAA, but I would think that if he's cruising at the mid-point that would be long enough.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

cards2468 wrote:If Wainwright continues to struggle and Carp isn't ready, is Shelby the next guy in line to step into the rotation?
They aren't taking Wainwright out of the rotation unless he is injured. Or at least not until July. And by that point if he still isn't producing odds are that it is injury related. I think Wainwright just has a bit of a dead arm.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

It would almost have to be Miller, but I wonder what the org thinks about Joe Kelly right now. Dickson doesn't look like much more than AAAA, and Additon is never mentioned in any major league context.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

QC beat Dayton tonight 5-4 in 13 innings for their 5th straight win. Danny Miranda threw 3 innings in relief, allowing 1H, 1BB and getting 4K's to get the win.

Roberto De La Cruz has not played since April 10th. He's nursing some kind of leg injury. David Medina has been playing 1B in his absence, and has been doing pretty well. Anybody know anything about Medina? He's 6'-4", 230 lbs and seems to have some power. Judging by the # of games he's played, looks like he might have been battling injuries the last few seasons.

Team
Everyday Player

Post by Team »

In Springfield's series here in Midland Wong made a couple nifty plays. One on a backhanded play up the middle to get the man at first and another going into the hole between 1st and 2nd. He's one of the more polished defensive second baseman I've seen since being in Midland.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

We signed de la Cruz as a catcher and shifted him to 3b correct?

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

pioneer98 wrote:David Medina has been playing 1B in his absence, and has been doing pretty well. Anybody know anything about Medina? He's 6'-4", 230 lbs and seems to have some power. Judging by the # of games he's played, looks like he might have been battling injuries the last few seasons.
BBRef lists him at 162lbs. Can't be right.

Pretty good spread between his BA and OBP. ISOs aren't remarkable but he seems to have made great progress as a hitter since starting professionally at 18 years young. Might be coming into his own.

At some point, there will be a "Funky Cold Medina" reference here.