Re: 2012 Minor League discussion

Post by go birds »

Ahhh didn't realize mnightrahmahhla was 22

Slider
All-Star

Post by Slider »

Magneto2.0 wrote:Another horrible performance from Shelby
The other day I tweeted him and asked if 1. he was hurt 2. Bored 3. trouble adjusting...he replied a few minutes later indirectly saying it is just the homerun ball...last night he twitted 1 inning...

Not sure what is going on with him or if he even has a proper view of the current struggles. A little alarming to say especially when you buddy gets called up before you and performs well at the Majors and he wasn't really even on the radar and everybody thought you would be up at some point.

Strauss hinted that Miller is likely to go back to AA...we shall shee how he will respond.

If he does goes back that will be a crazy rotation of Martinez who should be making a start soon, Rosenthal and Miller...Watch out

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

@Kevin_Goldstein He's working on getting his stuff back; been off all year. RT @BoilingSky: @Kevin_Goldstein Ouch. Is Shelby Miller working on something?

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

What are the thoughts on Garrett Wittels?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Wittels isn't a prospect, he was called up like twice in a week due to injuries to infielders. He's an org guy, but a good one to have.

Baseball Prospectus had an interesting article that researched whether it's better to perform at a certain level or be young for a level. The good player is more likely to be a big league average player (ever so slightly), but the young player is far more likely to be an above average player (3 or more WAR). Good was defined as >130 OPS+, and young was so many years below average age.

Asked about a player both young AND good, the research showed an exponentially higher chance of being a star, with contemporaries such as A-Rod, Griffey, Trout, Kemp, Beltre.

In other words, Oscar Taveras profiles as a superstar.

JackofDiamonds

Post by JackofDiamonds »

phins wrote:Wittels isn't a prospect, he was called up like twice in a week due to injuries to infielders. He's an org guy, but a good one to have.

Baseball Prospectus had an interesting article that researched whether it's better to perform at a certain level or be young for a level. The good player is more likely to be a big league average player (ever so slightly), but the young player is far more likely to be an above average player (3 or more WAR). Good was defined as >130 OPS+, and young was so many years below average age.

Asked about a player both young AND good, the research showed an exponentially higher chance of being a star, with contemporaries such as A-Rod, Griffey, Trout, Kemp, Beltre.

In other words, Oscar Taveras profiles as a superstar.
Thanks, I'm really good friends with Wittels' cousin. We were out for drinks last night and he was telling me that he was called up to to AAA and I felt bad that I'd never heard anything about him other than his college hit streak.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

With Wittels, it's probably a good thing if you haven't heard what came after the hit streak. After I had read that, I was hoping that he'd have a better pro showing.

JackofDiamonds

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:With Wittels, it's probably a good thing if you haven't heard what came after the hit streak. After I had read that, I was hoping that he'd have a better pro showing.
Unfortunately, I did know all of that stuff. Really [expletive] up situation, once you're accused or rape though, you're guilty until you're proven innocent.

Bizzy15
Veteran Player

Post by Bizzy15 »

Sam Tuivailala has been converted to a pitcher, one day after hitting a homer. Under the radar move. They told him they like his arm.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Bizzy15 wrote:Sam Tuivailala has been converted to a pitcher, one day after hitting a homer. Under the radar move. They told him they like his arm.
A lot like Stock, the Cards surprised a bunch of people when they announced his signing as a SS, rather than a RHP, right?