2012 Minor League discussion

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: 2012 Minor League discussion

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Slider wrote:Got to see the Springfield Cards play the Travelers tonight alongside AWvsCB

Great company, had a really good time. It went extra's so I left in the top of the 10th. AW stayed for the whole game he can fill in details.

Wong...short, quick stroke (no pun intended). It was a pleasure to watch him swing. He keeps swinging like that and he will be a welcomed addition to the roster in a couple of years. First ab struck out without ever swinging the bat. AB's 2 and 3 shots up the middle. AB 4 deep line drive out to CF AB 5...just missed his pitch and popped it up. Pretty impressive.

Oscar...nice diving play in RF going across his body for a backhanded diving catch. Made it look easy.
Had one hit tonight and it was a rope down the line. Has a very nice swing though.

He was thrown out at the plate on a weird play. I missed the second half of the play due to my kid needing me. Hopefully AW can describe it and discuss the tactical part...interested if it was instinct or a taught play.

Other than those 2 guys, the offense is really lacking at AA. After seeing Carpenter, Cox, Adams, Chambers, Jackson and others the last two years there is not much to look forward to.

There is one reliever putting up pretty impressive numbers...can't remember his name #51 on the roster...throws high 90's. Phins any info on him?

Letting my boy skip school tomorrow to watch Trevor R. pitch tomorrow at 11am should be fun. Hope to have a quick run down of the game.
Jinx? Haha. Yeah it was a great time.

Slider
All-Star

Post by Slider »

Today's recap

Got to watch Trevor Rosenthal pitch today.
He had a lot of trouble throwing his fastball for strikes today. It constantly sat at 97-98 all the way through the 6th inning. However, I noticed that when it topped out at 95 was when he got it for strikes. Maybe overthrowing a little????

Curve is nothing major but a quality enough pitch to keep hitters off balance. Hit sat at 83 consistently.

I assume the pitch he threw the least was a 2 seam fastball??? it was always around 92.

Couple of things...He is not that big, but broad across the shoulders....and It was a pleasure watching him field his position. After every pitch he was in fielding position. He made 3 really nice plays today.

I am impressed with the kid.

Kolten went 2-5...very nice swing

Oscar went 1-5...He was DH'ing and seemed as "not into" the game as he did last night.

I am excited about those three doing big things in the Majors they have all the talent for it.

And after the game Kolten was kind enough to take a picture with my boy and his friend. Very nice guy.

Cards won 3-1

Slider
All-Star

Post by Slider »

Anybody have any thoughts on Tavaras getting thrown out at the home plate last night? gut feeling or taught play?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

For the 2 or 3 of you that may live close enough to QC to catch a game this week...the Beloit Snappers come to town Wed-Fri this week for the first time. Much-hyped Dominican phenom Miguel Angel Sano play for them. He just turned 19 earlier this month, and is tied with Walsh for the league lead in HR with 12.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Looks like Shelby has been roughed up in 2 straight starts:
5 1/3 IP, 7 hits, 3 ER, 3 K, 0 BB, 2 HR
3 2/3 IP, 8 hits, 7 runs, 4 ER, 4 K, 2 BB, 2 HR

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Ryan Jackson with a .737 OPS at Memphis after 221 PA's.

For sake of comparison, BREADEN RYAN managed a .644 OPS at AAA (479 PAs), and .745 at AA. Jackson's career AA OPS is .749. Jackson shows a bit better on-base skills and maybe a bit more pop.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

Jackson has a pretty hefty K-rate for a guy with a 100 ISO. I don't see how a slap hitter strikes out that much and survives when he makes the big step up.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Kyle Hald threw a complete game tonight, got the W:

9IP, 5H, 2R, 2ER, 0BB, 6K

Slider
All-Star

Post by Slider »

With the state of the current bullpen I wonder if there is much talk of bringing up Joe Kelly.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... pid=523260

He is having a pretty nice little season there in Memphis. I know they want him as a starter, but he could have an immediate impact on the pen right now...I also wonder if Garcia goes down if Kelly gets the call before Miller