Billy Hamilton

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Billy Hamilton

Post by lukethedrifter »

on pace for 163 SBs in a 144 game season. Wow.
Up to the Reds when?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: Billy Hamilton

Post by phins »

He'll be a CF'er in the end. Can't stay at short in my view, and I wonder if velocity will and better infield defenses will beat him up the way they have Dee Gordon, but he has made big strides in power this year.

Swingingbunt
All-Star

Post by Swingingbunt »

phins wrote:He'll be a CF'er in the end. Can't stay at short in my view, and I wonder if velocity will and better infield defenses will beat him up the way they have Dee Gordon, but he has made big strides in power this year.
Have to agree defensively. The Reds have a real cluster [expletive] of a middle infield situation in the minors, and they try to get everyone to stick there. I still think he'll be a really good player for at least a few years. I'd like to see that power stride continue or he'll have a career that lasts only as long as his speed does.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

As an individual who's about to land Hamilton on his sim team, I really hope the Reds move him to CF sooner than later. The kid has to learn it at some point, and all reports since he was drafted indicated he won't stick at SS.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

He's no Esix Snead.

jerbyrd25
Everyday Player

Post by jerbyrd25 »

phins wrote:He'll be a CF'er in the end. Can't stay at short in my view, and I wonder if velocity will and better infield defenses will beat him up the way they have Dee Gordon, but he has made big strides in power this year.
Dee Gordon didn't steal bases nearly as frequently as BH. I don't know if anyone has lately.

Henderson stole 95 bases in 134 games in A ball and then 81 in 133 at AA, then spent half a year in AAA before joining the A's.

Vince Coleman is probably the best comparison as he stole 145 bases in A ball in 113 games, then swiped 101 in 152 games in AAA.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

landed Billy Hamilton today

With essentially no power (and frame suggests it probably won't ever come around, though Ricky Henderson reached the bigs with no power and after a few years started posting .200+ ISOs), a K rate that's been erratic, no position set, though I imagine his speed will make up for any downfalls he has as a CFer, I'm going to try and spin him off to another team when he gets that MiLB record and ESPN is all over his nuts. Sure, the speed is a nice novelty to have, but I don't see him as being any more valuable than say, Anthony Gose, who might not steal as many bags, but has excellent speed, outstanding defense, and about the same aptitude at the plate (Gose has better history for drawing walks, but BH is over 12% for BB% this year).

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The Reds obviously think he has some work to do before he gets to the big leagues since he's literally not skipping any levels in the minors at all, he went from Rookie Ball to short season A to regular A and is now in Advanced A.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

JoeMcKim wrote:The Reds obviously think he has some work to do before he gets to the big leagues since he's literally not skipping any levels in the minors at all, he went from Rookie Ball to short season A to regular A and is now in Advanced A.
He's a switch hitter who was close to ditching hitting right handed not too long ago. Definitely a lot of development left for him. I'm guessing they don't want him trying to learn a new position until he's confident at the plate.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

jerbyrd25 wrote:
Dee Gordon didn't steal bases nearly as frequently as BH. I don't know if anyone has lately.

Henderson stole 95 bases in 134 games in A ball and then 81 in 133 at AA, then spent half a year in AAA before joining the A's.

Vince Coleman is probably the best comparison as he stole 145 bases in A ball in 113 games, then swiped 101 in 152 games in AAA.
Looking at SB totals rather than skills is a terrible way to do it. Essex Snead mean anything to you?

Skills, skills, skills...that's what matters. He's hitting the ball harder and changed perceptions of who he is, but if pitchers with velocity can knock bat out of his hands, he'll go way of Dee Gordon. Regardless of speed...