Peoria Chiefs

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Peoria Chiefs

Post by jim »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:What are these guys' ceilings?
Reyes and Kaminsky have a chance to be solid 2/3 MLB starter. That's their ceiling. Reyes has the better stuff, Kaminsky seems to just have a knack for pitching.

Carson Kelly came into the year with a ceiling of a solid MLB regular, I would say that has gone down.

Juan Herrara profiles as a fringy regular, most likely a utility guy. Hector Luna type.

C.J. McElroy is a one tool player, I guess you could say his ceiling is Billy Hamilton.

Steve Bean, a C, is imo has the best chance of hitting his ceiling, which I think profiles as a solid backup - Tony Cruz.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Peoria Chiefs

Post by jim »

I got another chance to see the Chiefs tonight. Carson Kelly was behind the plate, my first chance to see him behind the dish (previously Beane caught). I was impressed to say the least. He has solid receiving skills, he receives pitches well and is fundamentally sound blocking pitches. He's worked hard, you can see that. He had two SB's on him, both on the pitcher. I got Kelly at a 1.9 pop time on a successful steal of second, if I pushed the buttons at the right time (I think I did) that's a solid average to plus arm. I was timing him between innings but he wasn't really showing it off, getting times of around 2.1-2.2. You need to see more games to grade, but if I were to grade him from what I saw tonight I would say a 55 glove and arm.

Hitting wise he looked MUCH better than when I saw him a few months ago. He was 1-4, his last AB showed some promise. Kane County brought in the closer, he was throwing 91-93 and showing a pretty decent hard curve ball. The only hard hit ball that inning was Kelly, and he absolutely hit it on the screws to the third basemen for a 5L. First three pitches were curves, Kelly was on his front foot on the first one and out in front. Second pitch he took a borderline call for strike 2. Third pitch he took a curve low, and then after seeing 3 straight 78mph curve balls he showed some fast hands turning on a 92 mph fastball.

McElroy is an interesting prospect with ++ speed. He was 0-2 with 2 walks. His last AB he hit a ball in the gap pretty hard, got under it and it was an out but he hit it probably 380'. Off the bat I thought it was a double. So he does have a little pop in the bat.

Bryan was 0-3 with 2K's, he can really run too. I got a sub-4 time to first on a groundout, pretty much 70/75 running skill.

Rowan Wick has 65 arm strength as a RF'er, but he throws it all over the field.