Peoria Chiefs

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Re: Peoria Chiefs

Post by pioneer98 »

I saw the Chiefs play a double header @ QC yesterday. They lost both games. Kind of bad losses since QC trailed them by a game for the last playoff spot of the 1st half, and afterwards led them by a game. Looks like Peoria is winning tonight though. Keep in mind they only play 7 innings when it is a double header in this league. A few observations.

- Rob Kaminsky started game 1. He was throwing mostly between 83-89 on our gun (which I'm told is 1-2MPH slow). Looked like he was throwing mostly fastball/slider. He looked almost unhittable the first inning. Then he started to falter a bit. He only allowed 2 hits, but walked 4 over 5 innings. Only allowed 1 run though, working out of jams. He has really good numbers on the season. He definitely has potential as a lefty but is not overpowering or anything.
- Kevin Herget relieved him and only got 2 outs. He walked 3 batters. Not good. Although in fairness the strike zone was all over the place all day.
- The Chiefs only had 3 hits themselves in the first game. Ronnierd Garcia had two of the hits. IMO that guy looks like a good hitter. He is listed at 6'2", 175lbs, but he seemed bigger than that. I bet he's filled out some. He's got a powerful swing and crushed the ball foul a couple times, too. He was playing DH. Someone to keep an eye on IMO.
- The guy you really, really want to do well is Kenneth Peoples-Walls. He is just so strong and athletic and fast. He's really struggling this year though, and did not look great at the plate. I don't know what his deal is.
- Blake McKnight started game 2. He was throwing a lot of strikes, and he also seemed to top out around 89-90MPH. He gave up 5 hits, 1 BB and had 2 K's in 5+.
- CJ McElroy had 2 hits in game 2, but was 0 for 3 with a 1 BB in game 1. But he made a great sliding catch on the warning track in game #1.

One of the best plays of the day was by QC. In the 6th inning of game 1, Ronnierd Garcia doubled to score Peoples-Walls, who had walked. Garcia was thrown out at 3rd trying to stretch it to a triple on a perfect relay by Chan Moon.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Peoples-Walls is a SS correct? I really want him to make it just so broadcasters have to say his name.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

go birds wrote:Peoples-Walls is a SS correct? I really want him to make it just so broadcasters have to say his name.
He's been playing LF. He had an OPS of .820 in rookie ball last year. Struggling mightily this year though with a .554 OPS. He has 5 BB all year and 59 K's. It sucks he's not a good hitter. He is fast, has a good arm and looks like he could have 20-25 HR power.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I was at Saturday's game. The Chiefs used a 6 run inning in which they had 2 singles and 4 doubles to put this game out of reach. Carson Kelly had 3 doubles in 5 AB's and had 5 RBI. He just hit shots to all fields all game. Luis Perez also had 2 doubles and a walk. In all, the Chiefs had 9 runs on 11 hits, but no HRs. Very Cardinals-like.

Vaughn Bryan made a spectacular catch in CF and Richy Pedroza made a great play in the hole to throw out the batter at first in the 1st inning.

Blake McKnight started for them. He was throwing a 90 MPH fastball and a 76 MPH curve/slurve. The slurve really got a lot of batters out in front, but he only notched 2 K's. He didn't pitch great but did minimize damage when he got into trouble. He went: 5 2/3IP, 2R, 2ER, 5H, 1BB, 2K.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I've seen Kelly having some good games, when I saw him a month or so ago he really looked bad. Have you seen Reyes yet?

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

What are these guys' ceilings?

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

jim wrote:I've seen Kelly having some good games, when I saw him a month or so ago he really looked bad. Have you seen Reyes yet?
Sadly, no, I have not.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

We need prospects with original names. Reyes? Kelly? Psscht. Already had/have them. Previously, Carpenter and Martinez and Miller. Psscht, a dime a dozen or already taken. Get some new names, a holes.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:We need prospects with original names. Reyes? Kelly? Psscht. Already had/have them. Previously, Carpenter and Martinez and Miller. Psscht, a dime a dozen or already taken. Get some new names, a holes.

Don't you mean "Poo-Holes"? :)

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals left-handed pitching prospect Rob Kaminsky struck out seven batters in seven shutout innings for Low-A Peoria on Monday.
Kaminsky scattered three singles and one hit batsman, as he threw 66 of his 89 pitches for strikes (71.2 percent) as he lowered his ERA to 1.26 and WHIP to 0.900. Batters are hitting .181/.242/.236 over his nine starts. Kaminsky could be in line for a promotion to High-A Palm Beach later this summer. He profiles as a solid mid-rotation starter who could be in the major leagues as soon as early 2016.
Jul 1 - 9:42 AM