Peoria Chiefs

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Peoria Chiefs

Post by jim »

Going to see the Chiefs tonight play at Kane County. I didn't realize we had Colby Rasmus' brother catching in our system - he's at Peoria and hitting .350.

Other players to watch? All I know is what I see in my BA handbook which lists these guys on Peoria as top 30 prospects:
Carson Kelly
Patrick Wisdom
C.J. McElroy
Charlie Tilson

McElroy hasn't played in a while .. hurt? Kelly and Wisdom are 9 and 11 in the BA handbook, but both have like one hit in the past week and are really struggling. Tilson has good numbers.

But I know nothing about these guys, any insight? I'll jot some notes here tomorrow on these players.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Re: Peoria Chiefs

Post by letsgocards89 »

Phins covered Tilson and McElroy in his 2011 Draft Recap Thread

jim

Post by jim »

Nice, thanks. phins does good work.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I didn't realize they were Cardinals affiliate now. A few years ago I went and Jo-deeeeey JO-DY Davis -was managing lame-o Cubs.

jim

Post by jim »

Cubs moved to Kane County this year, Cards moved from QC to Peoria. Get with it freed.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Let us know if Tony Rasmus is in de house.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

jim wrote:Going to see the Chiefs tonight play at Kane County. I didn't realize we had Colby Rasmus' brother catching in our system - he's at Peoria and hitting .350.

Other players to watch? All I know is what I see in my BA handbook which lists these guys on Peoria as top 30 prospects:
Carson Kelly
Patrick Wisdom
C.J. McElroy
Charlie Tilson

McElroy hasn't played in a while .. hurt? Kelly and Wisdom are 9 and 11 in the BA handbook, but both have like one hit in the past week and are really struggling. Tilson has good numbers.

But I know nothing about these guys, any insight? I'll jot some notes here tomorrow on these players.
Nm
Last edited by MinorLeagueGuy on May 14 13, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

jim wrote:Going to see the Chiefs tonight play at Kane County. I didn't realize we had Colby Rasmus' brother catching in our system - he's at Peoria and hitting .350.

Carson Kelly
Patrick Wisdom
C.J. McElroy
Charlie Tilson

That quite a crop of players. Basically the only guys not named Michael Wacha that I can even remember from our '12 draft. Ramsey is another one. But he's up a few levels.

jim

Post by jim »

Ok I got a chance to catch the game last night, and nothing really stood out to me but a few observations...

I can see the good in Wisdom - he has good bat speed and should have good power - but man he swings and misses alot and got fooled very badly on a pitch 2 feet out of the zone for his first of his 2 K's. Obviously I can't tell much from 4-5 AB's, but I wonder if he's a guy that has all of the tools except hand/eye? He LOOKS like he should hit, but he's not squaring stuff up and based on what I saw and his stat line for the year he's not even making contact. He had several chances in the field and looks like he has very soft hands and a plus arm. He's a good looking 3B defensively.

Swinson runs well but took a horrible route to a ball that he turned into a double and throws like my old girl friend.

Charlie Tilson is the guy that I liked because he could run. That's a plus tool, and while he didn't get to show off in CF he looks like he could handle that at the big league level. He was 2-4 and one of his hits was an infield single that wasn't hit that far in the hole at SS - and the SS didn't misplay it but the play wasn't even close.

Both middle infielders (from Venezuela) looked good, Vargas hit a double that really flew off the bat. Hit it 375 on a line.

Kelley did not play.

Hector Hernandez pitched, and I went down to the bullpen to watch him warm up and sat basically 2nd row behind homeplate. His future if he has one is as a loogy - he has a very sharp breaking pitch that could work on big league lefties. Fastball tops at 88, he does throw a change, but his money pitch is a curve. That's his best case ceiling - good kid though - I said some encouragements to him in Spanish - complimented his curveball and wished him luck and his eyes just lit up and he smiled and thanked me. There were two absolute little monsters ages 7 bugging the [expletive] out of him while he warming up and he didn't let it phase him. I don't know, it would have pissed me off and I probably would have been a dick about it and he wasn't

And finally my last words go out to Mr. Rasmus, the catcher for Peoria. He's hitting over .300 and got a bunt single last night - he does run well - exceptionally well for a catcher. But he's a not a catcher, oh he's got the skills to catch a game but he's not going to be able to do that at the big league level. He was 2.0 pretty consistently in his pop times (45-50 arm) but he's tiny. They list him at 5-10/175 but I don't believe it. I'd say 5-9/165 and that's generous on the 5-9 part.

I'm going to try to slip out at lunch tomorrow and catch 5 innings or so - it's a noon game and it's 5 minutes from where I work. I'd love to see Kelley.

Overall nothing to wow me, but definitely some organization depth there that could potentially help the big club some day.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Casey Rasmus was the backup catcher last year for QC in the same league. He got the starting job this year and is off to a hot start, but he's not really much of a prospect. And yes, he is tiny. When I stand next to him, I feel tall.

I've seen the Chiefs twice already this year. It seems like they have quite a few guys repeating this level. Tyrell Jenkins, Casey Rasmus, Nick Martini all played in this leauge last year. Michael Swinson played a full season in QC in 2011, and 49 games for QC in 2010. Then there are several more Peoria players who only played a few games with QC last year that are on the team.

I did get to see Tyrell Jenkins pitch in one of the two games I saw. He was not lights out, but he did pitch out of a couple jams, which is something he struggled with last year. Perhaps he is learning. He got the W in the game I saw.

Basically, there could be a few useful players that come out of this crop in the low minors, but the talent pool for the Cardinals has really dropped. It's understandable - there was no way they were going to keep up at the pace they were. It's compounded by the fact that their recent high round draft picks are already playing at higher levels - Piscotty is at high A, and Wacha is already at AAA.