Rounds 3 to Finish 2013 MLB Draft-Thread

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: Rounds 3 to Finish 2013 MLB Draft-Thread

Post by phins »

I'm expecting an 11th round pick with high upside because they've gone for everything but upside thus far in the draft. They really went for polished, advanced players who have secondary skills besides the flashy stuff.

Lots of defense first and pitchability profiles.

Kaminsky is a top-10 baseball player in the draft for me though. Just small with a limited ceiling because of it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Is Jewish the new OBA?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

The Cardinals selected a guy named Michael Mayers. Expect a lot of Halloween movie references in the GDT when he gets to the majors.

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

lukethedrifter wrote:Is Jewish the new OBA?
Haha thought the same thing. Don't think the Cards have had a member of the tribe since Marquis.

phins

Post by phins »

Cards took an intriguing player in the 10th round in Malik Collymore. He's Canadian and is a thick, compact player with a chance to stick at SS. He's most likely a 2B'man, but this kid has serious bat speed, and that's a tool I love. Sneaky power on this kid, I did expect him to go a bit higher.

He'll be an expensive sign away from North Carolina State.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

A friend of mine's cousin was drafted today: Grant Gordon from MO State in the 10th round by the Angels.

phins

Post by phins »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:A friend of mine's cousin was drafted today: Grant Gordon from MO State in the 10th round by the Angels.
Good kid. Weird to see a middle reliever go so high, but he has two major league quality pitches. Small, herky-jerky over the top motion and throws a spike curveball that's hard to control.

Lefties give him trouble but be he has a shot at being a ROOGY. Small. Throws low 90's.

Failed as a starter. Was a freshman AA closer. Freshman year was best year. Good family.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Cards have taken 6 SS this draft. Not that I'm complaining, easier to move a guy off short than it is to put one on there, but it is surprising.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

phins wrote:Cards took an intriguing player in the 10th round in Malik Collymore. He's Canadian and is a thick, compact player with a chance to stick at SS. He's most likely a 2B'man, but this kid has serious bat speed, and that's a tool I love. Sneaky power on this kid, I did expect him to go a bit higher.

You've talked about this before, but I can't remember your conclusion. Are the Cards intentionally targeting players for cold weather environments because they see it as an un-tapped resource? Or was your point the opposite -- that the Cards usually target players from warm-weather environments because they're usually a little safer/better developed?

phins

Post by phins »

Fat Strat wrote:
phins wrote:Cards took an intriguing player in the 10th round in Malik Collymore. He's Canadian and is a thick, compact player with a chance to stick at SS. He's most likely a 2B'man, but this kid has serious bat speed, and that's a tool I love. Sneaky power on this kid, I did expect him to go a bit higher.

You've talked about this before, but I can't remember your conclusion. Are the Cards intentionally targeting players for cold weather environments because they see it as an un-tapped resource? Or was your point the opposite -- that the Cards usually target players from warm-weather environments because they're usually a little safer/better developed?
Like most teams they focus on Cali, Texas, Florida. I actually researched the exact numbers because I thought it might be an interesting conclusion but it was fairly spread out. They tend to like Cali the most by a tick, but nothing substantial.

I think they look for the right kind of kids from Northern schools. Most of them have been toolsy, raw hitters, but Ottavino and now Kaminsky show they'll go off the beaten path for the right player.

I like the toolsy guys from the North because I feel they have a tick more projection left.

Collymore is committed to Mizzou, not North Carolina State. That's my bad.