10 best ballparks

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

10 best ballparks

Post by pioneer98 »

Can you guys do QC a favor and vote for Modern Woodmen Park for best minor league ballpark in America?

It is currently #1, but Louisville is closing quickly. Thanks!

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/bes ... -ballpark/

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: 10 best ballparks

Post by JoeMcKim »

I voted for Memphis just because it's a Cardinals affiliate, since I haven't actually been to either stadium yet. But I defiintely if ever given the chance of being in either of those cities would be looking to catch a game if given the chance.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

I would have voted for Modern Woodmen having attended a game in QC once. Alas, the voting was over. Didn't figure out how to get any results so do you know which park won?

I spent the summer of 2002 in Peoria working and rooted for the Chiefs. That was the year Yadi, Chris Duncan, etc. won the Midwest League championship. They beat the Lansing Lugnuts in 6 games by scoring, if I remember correctly, 8 or 10 runs in the ninth inning and winning by 1 or 2 runs after being behind by 7 or 9 runs. The game was in Lansing so I only heard it on the radio. Lansing was the Cubs affiliate at the time so it was very satisfying. It was the beginning of the time that the Cardinals went from a bad farm system to a really good one and started winning at a lot of levels including the MLB in 2004 and 2006.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

QC won! Edged out Louisville by 2,000 votes.

I have been in more upscale minor league ballparks than QC's. What really sets QC's apart though is the mixture of old and new. They kept some of the features of the old ballpark when they renovated it. Other modern minor league parks might have nicer amenities, but they have less of the old-school feel.

I've said on here before that I also really like the ballpark in Clinton, IA. I go back and forth about which one I like better, especially now that it has been renovated, too. I think I'd like to see a few more improvements to Clinton's ballpark, but both are worth checking out if you get a chance.

Valpo Cardinal Fan
Veteran Player

Post by Valpo Cardinal Fan »

pioneer98 wrote:QC won! Edged out Louisville by 2,000 votes.

I have been in more upscale minor league ballparks than QC's. What really sets QC's apart though is the mixture of old and new. They kept some of the features of the old ballpark when they renovated it. Other modern minor league parks might have nicer amenities, but they have less of the old-school feel.

I've said on here before that I also really like the ballpark in Clinton, IA. I go back and forth about which one I like better, especially now that it has been renovated, too. I think I'd like to see a few more improvements to Clinton's ballpark, but both are worth checking out if you get a chance.
Visited the Lumberjacks Park in 2002 also before they renovated. Clinton,IA doesn't have as much as QC or Peoria but it had a very loyal fan base. I remember thinking I had just seen baseball's version of a cage match. I had driven by the QC park in 1993, the year the Mississippi River decided enough was enough and gave some of the water back. The QC park was flooded heavily and suffered much damage.

http://qctimes.com/news/local/quad-city ... dd297.html

I see from this story that they can now install temporary flood walls that keep the water out of Modern Woodmen as it did in April this year. The bridge you see next to Modern Woodmen Park is Centennial Bridge which carries highway 67 (15th St in Rock Island/Gaines St in Davenport) between Rock Island and Davenport. It's just west of the island in the Mississippi that holds the Rock Island Arsenal.